Wendigo

"You okay?" Dean asked Sam.

I looked at Sam as Dean asked the question.

"Yeah, I'm fine," Sam replied

"Another nightmare?" I asked.

Sam only cleared his throat

"There's no shame. Even I get them at times,"

"You wanna drive for a while?" Dean asked

"Dean, your whole life you never once asked me that," Sam said

"Just thought you might want to. Nevermind,"

"What was it about?" I asked "It helps if you talk about it,"

"It was about that night and I heard..." Sam laughed "This might sound crazy. But I heard a wolf howl,"

Dean and I gave each other a look and I decided to change the subject. 

"I'll drive if you're asking around," I suggested

"No!" Dean negated.

I grumbled as I sat back into my seat as Sam grabbed the map.

"Alright, where are we?" Sam questioned

"We are just outside of Grand Junction," Dean replied

Sam folded the map and I knew what was coming "Maybe we shouldn't have left Stanford so soon,"

Dean let out a sigh "Sam, we dug around there for a week. We came up with nothing. If you wanna find the thing that killed Jessica-"

"We gotta find Dad first,"

"Dad disappearing- and this thing showing up again after twenty years, it's no coincidence. Dad will have answers. He'll know what to do,"

I looked over at Dean as his statement seemed to be just a way for him to reassure himself that it was true.

"It's weird, man. These coordinates he left us. This Blackwater Ridge. There's nothing there. It's just woods. Why is he sending us to the middle of nowhere?" Sam asked

***

We parked next to the Ranger Station. Sam had gotten out and was looking at a map of the forest "So Blackwater Ridge is pretty remote. It's cut off by these canyons here, rough terrain, dense forest, abandoned silver and gold mines all over the place,"

I looked over and saw that Dean wasn't paying attention.

"Dude, check out the size of this freaking bear," Dean said as he looked at a picture

"And a dozen or more grizzlies in the area. It's no nature hike, that's for sure," Sam claimed

"Are there any wolves?" I asked

"Gray wolves," we all turned to see a Ranger walk up to us "You three aren't planning on going out near Blackwater Ridge by any chance?"

"Oh, no, sir, we're environmental study majors from UC Boulder, just working on a paper," Sam lied

Dean didn't help our case when he raised his fist "Recycle, man,"

"Bull," The Ranger said

I couldn't help but stare at the man and quickly looked to Dean

"You're friends with that Haley girl, right?"

"Yes. Yes, we are, Ranger-" Dean looked at the Ranger's name tag "Wilkinson,"

"Well, I will tell you exactly what we told her. Her brother filled out a backcountry permit saying he wouldn't be back from Blackwater until the twenty-fourth, so it's not exactly a missing person now, is it?"