Chapter 4

Rise Against

Chapter Four

This day so far had been filled with complete bliss. I felt as if a huge weight had been lifted off my shoulder. I felt as if for the first time, things were actually going to be OK.

I was organizing everything, going through the hundreds of books. I came across one of my favorite books, The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

I remember how I would quote something from this book, and Brennan would give me a disapproving look.

He hated this book. He thought that it was stupid because it was just about a guy with split personalities. 

I, on the other hand, loved it. It shows you that everything and everyone has a different side to them, one that you have to try had to discover.

Let’s face it, we all have secrets. Some of those secrets, we just can’t tell others about no matter how much you want to. It can not only out you in danger, but put them in danger as well.

My social studies teacher once said, “Every individual has at one time or another shares some kind of secret to his or her friend. This is where the foundation of a true friendship begins. Good friends are hard to find; therefore, if you happen to have a good friend you would want to share things with that friend and expect that friend to keep your secret for you. Also, you are insinuating to your friend that you trust him/her enough to share your most intimate thoughts and feelings. Thus in return that friend should respect you enough to keep your secret for you until you are ready to announce it to the world. I truly believe that a true friend will keep your secrets for you.”

Some people live a lie so much that the lie becomes their life.

Was Brennan living a lie? Even though we were inseparable, there were many things that I didn’t know about him, many things that I would’ve liked to.

Did I make a mistake in not asking him? 

I am not stupid. I partially know the reason that I’m not accepted in my family is because I don’t hold or even possess the thing the rest of my family has whatever that thing is.

I don’t know what it is, I have never even thought of it, but if it’s one thing I am is that I’m observant.

I notice how they look at me in disgust. I notice the glances. I know when they are testing me, usually it’s pretty subtle. I know my expectations.

I also see how other people treat my family. They treat them almost as if they are superior, royal even. They are treated like the kings and the queens. They hold their heads like heroes on a history book page.

Sometimes I think that they are history or they are making it.

It’s the same situation with Brennan. People treat him differently almost as if they are forced to treat him that way, almost if on instinct. It’s like their mind is telling him to treat him with respect.

The only people who can or are able to cross Brennan or my brothers are themselves.

They don’t have to respect each other or obey each other.

The night of the accident flashed in my mind.

“You are at the TOP of the world, why would hang out with her?”

What did Kellan mean when he said Brennan was at the top of the world? Did he mean the top of the food chain?

“Oh, well I don’t know, maybe because she’s the only NORMAL one around here?”