Chapter 4 - Phone Call

Susanna's POV

I just got a call from Uncle Jake, saying that he needed me to meet him at this address. I force myself to drive carefully and make it their in fifteen minutes. I leap out of the car and run up the walk of the house. Dear God, please don't let anything be wrong.

I knock on the door and nothing. Again. Same response. I open the door and call out. "Uncle Jake!! Where are you?" My heart is pounding in my ears. I take a step towards the kitchen, and my phone rings. It's him. "Uncle Jake! Where are you!" The questions come out more as shouted exclamations but I can't help myself.

"Simmer down, young un'. I'm fine. Come into the kitchen." Uncle Jake says. I step inside and my jaw goes slack. Uncle Jake is standing there, with Joey right beside him. I look back and forth at them as Uncle Jake and I both put down our phones. He slides a set of keys across the marble counter top to me.

"Uncle Jake? What are these for?" My heart rate is finally slowing down now, I can finally begin to breath again.

"The house." Uncle Jake says simply.

Joey literally stumbles backwards, straight into the dishwasher somehow bumping the knob and sending it roaring to life.

"The.... hou...house?" I stutter, utterly shocked.

"Yes. You two are good kids. I want to help out. After all, you are like family to me. The house is yours. Let's take a tour." Uncle Jake says, leaving no room for argument. He shows us the house, which is large and open. Some furniture is already situated. There's even a music room and a recording studio. RIGHT IN THE HOUSE! There are tons of different rooms on the two stories, including four bathrooms and five bedrooms.

"Why five bedrooms?" Joey asks, as we go to the back yard, which has this awesome gazebo, pond complete with fish and a fountain, and a beautiful garden.

Uncle Jake smiles. "You both have family and friends. So you will need guest rooms." He pauses, then winks. "And one day, you might need rooms for kids."

Joey and I are completely silent and have matching beet red faces. Uncle Jake hugs us both, and we go and wave from the front porch as he drives away. "This ... this is our house, Joey." I say, as I sit down on the swing suspended from the porch roof.

"I know...." Joey is wide-eyed. "I mean Alan and his family haven't even had a house that long. And here we are set up before we even get married. God is so good." We literally sit there for the next thirty minutes crying (yes, both of us) and praising God for this major blessing that would have been too big for us to take on, on our own.