Chapter Eleven

Narrator's POV (Yes, this is weird, but I did it for a reason.)

Susanna Stephens stepped outside into the cool Kentucky morning air, inhaling the sweetness of it all. It felt good. Like God was all around her on this silent morning. She took in the beautiful multi-colors of the sunrise and let out a contented sigh.

She was already dressed, in a comfy shirt, jeans, and her favorite pair of cowboy boots. It was the perfect morning for a walk. She wrote a note for her parents and left it on the kitchen counter and set out on her adventure. Susanna was supposed to be leaving for Nashville again later today, so she wanted to take in a little bit more of the place she grew up in before that. After all, in Nashville waited her friends, her job, and her future husband. Thinking of Joey made her smile to herself as she made her way into the trees of the forest that was on her family's property. Susanna never would have imagined this as her life in this moment. But here it was, God worked in mysterious ways sometimes.

She took the "pathway", which was really just an old log road that had grown up over the years, and was wrapping her way back to the house. Susanna stopped to sit on a rock and just take in the great outdoors, God's coloring book. She had already walked over a good mile this morning, her lungs objecting, but her legs and heart pumping and loving the action. She lowered her head and was saying a prayer when she felt something hit her head. She finished the prayer and opened her eyes to find a dead tree branch laying it's edge on her lap. It was a pretty good sized branch and she rubbed her head. Only a small knot, she shook it off and started back towards home.

There it was just in the distance. Wait, something was wrong! One of her eyes was still working normally, not perfect because her eyes never were 20/20. The other one however.... it was like a black curtain was dropping. Susanna's heart started pounding as realization set in. Her retina! It was detaching. The eye doctor had told her many years ago to be cautious of anything falling on her head, but she hadn't expected a dead tree branch would be the culprit. She had even done her medical research paper in college on retinal detachment, to learn more about it. She was thankful she had. She knew exactly the symptoms to tell, and it comforted her, even though she knew what lay ahead as well. She pulled out her cell phone and dialed her parent's home phone. By the grace of God, Susanna managed to stay calm as she explained what happened.

They got her in the car and were on their way. They had to hurry. Time was of the essence. Because if they didn't get there in time.... Susanna would go blind.