Chapter 16

*A/N: Hey guys, Ruby here, so i'm putting this note here as a warning, this chapter does not have a happy ending. The idea of the story was to do something different and of course not all stories have happy endings. We felt we needed to do something different so please no hate. Don't forget to leave us a vote. Ruby out xxx*

**Ruby POV**

"Oh shit" Kenzie harshly breathed as she covered her mouth in shock. The diner has about 5 or 6 people in it and a stench that I can only describe as something decomposing. Each person looked as bad as the next, torn, soiled clothing and dirt over any visible part of their bodies. The walls in the diner were nearly black in mold and decay. Everyone looked at us, we didn't move at all. One of the men that sat at the table closest to us raised a blade into view and pointed it at our direction. Neither of us spoke as we turned and fled from the place. There was clattering and scraping on chairs from behind us, we were being chased. Norman grabbed my arm as we fled leading us into a nearby empty store, he pushed everyone through before checking the street and closing the door. He pointed over to an empty display counter and Jensen helped him to push the big counter into the way of the door, blocking it. We snuck through into the back of the store.

"I don't think they saw us." He panted as we all tried to catch our breath.

"What are we going to do?" I sobbed.

"Do you think we will be safe in here for now?" Kenzie questioned. Norman just shrugged.

"Safer than out there I suppose but we need to check the back for an exit just in case." We nodded and headed to the back keeping as low as we could, just in case we could be seen from outside. There was a back door, but it was locked shut. Jensen looked around for something to break the lock.

A high pitched crazy laughter made us all freeze, I looked towards the front of the store and my heart stopped. Staring I through the dusted windows was two men, one from the abandoned house and another smaller man. The smaller man started to hop about excitedly and laughed more when he knew that I had spotted him. They then moved away and went for the door.

"Shit, shit, shit. Get the fucking door!" I yelled as I pushed myself up from kneeling and began to kick at the door. The others soon knew why I told them to hurry up as a pounding came from the entrance door. Soon we were all kicking at the door and lock. Thankfully it was wooden and soon cracked from the repeated pressure. Jensen managed to break down the door just in time as the shop window shattered spraying glass everywhere. We ran, oh gods did we run, straight out of the door and through some back lanes in the town. The maniac laughing came again from behind us.

I felt a wave of pain throughout my whole body causing me to stop and gasp at the air. I felt nauseous , dizzy and in a world of pain as I sunk to my knees. Kenzie, Jensen and Norman were a way ahead now, when Norman turned and noticed I wasn't with them, he ran straight back to me shouting to the others to keep running. My vision began to blur and I swayed when another round of pain hit me.

"Noooo! Ruby!" Kenzie screamed as Jensen pulled her away. I looked down, protruding a few inches from my chest was the tip of a bloodied arrow. I reached behind me and felt the back of two arrows. Tears fell from my eyes. Norman fell in front of me, an arrow in his leg and another three in his chest. I cried harder, he wasn't moving. I opened my mouth to scream out to Kenzie but nothing came out. Everything was dark, another pang of pain and then there was darkness.

**Kenzie POV**

"Noooo! Ruby!" I screamed as I turned back to see Ruby on her knees in the middle of the path way. The group of men stood at the end of the path not moving, just aiming a crossbow at Norman as he ran to Ruby's aid. I went to run to them but Jensen grabbed me round my chest pulling me back. "Jensen no, I have to go. That's my sister!"

"We have to go!" I couldn't move it was like my feet were glued to the ground. I felt numb. I looked to Ruby as she fell face down on the floor next to Norman. The pain I was feeling was unbearable. Jensen scooped me up in his arms as he continued to run. "I won't lose you Kenzie." Was all he softly said as he ran.

He somehow looped around the town and we were back near the diner. Sitting outside it was the old rusted car with someone sat on the bonnet. Jensen put me on my feet at the edge of a building. The nearby area was silent but we knew that the other men wouldn't be far away. "Kenzie, look at me." Through blurry eyes I looked at Jensen. "I need you to do something for me" I nodded "I need you to run to the car, drive to the nearest town and get help OK." I nodded again not quite understanding what he was saying.

"Wha what about him?" I pointed to the car.

"I love you, and I always have." He pulled me to him in an unexpected embrace.

"I love you to, I don't understand."

"Just promise me you will go and get help." Then it clicked, I knew what he was going to do.

"No, Jensen. No way. I won't lose you as well. We will make a run for it together."

"Kenzie, we can't. We will be in even more danger together. Just drive, find some police and bring them back here. I will try and hide out, but I need to lure him away first. Please." I sobbed before nodding. "That's my girl." He gave a brave smile, not giving me a chance to respond to him before he ran past the car getting the guy on the cars attention. He leapt up, a machete type knife in hand and ran off after him. I watched, my heart no longer feeling like it was beating, as Jensen disappeared around a corner, the mad maniac hot on his heels.

When I was sure that the area was empty I made a run for the car, thanking the gods that there was still a key in the ignition. I turned it and the car just coughed and spluttered. I tried again, the same. Hysterical laughter sounded in the air. I tried the key a few more times until the car finally came to life, I put it into gear and drove as fast as I could in the direction that Jensen had left. I couldn't spot him, but I did see the group of people running behind the back of the car, one aimed with the crossbow, hitting the back of the car. I put my foot down and accelerated out of the town in the hope of finding some help. I needed to save Jensen.