Chapter 13- Blood Runs Stale

Start from the beginning

"Then what did?" He pushes on with pleading eyes.

I slowly look down at his hand that lays on the bed with his palm facing the ceiling and cautiously move mine towards his. I place it on top of Phil's and slowly wrap my fingers around it. At first, Phil's hand stays limp but his fingers slowly close over mine as well. Our hands are intertwined.

My eyes slowly look back up to glance at Phil and he's just staring at our intertwined hands. I don't know why but something takes over me. I slowly release his hand and it goes limp once more.

He's obviously staring at my face now so I let a smirk form on it as I lightly and delicately take my index finger and run it over the lines on the palm of his hand, following to the blue veins on the under side of his wrist.

"Dan?" Phil asks with a hushed tone.

I look up at him through my lashes, my fringe covering most of my eye.

"What are you doing?" He whispers and keeps his lips parted slightly as he stares intently at me with confusion and wonder.

"Reminding myself that you're still human...that's all."

"And how does this show you that...?"

I let out a short happy sigh as my smirk widens into a small smile, "The blue veins in your wrist show me that you still have a healthy and human blood flow coursing through millions of your veins." I place my finger on a scar on his collarbone that's partly showing, "And this shows that you do get hurt as well. Just like everyone else does."

Phil's eyes sparkle, "I've never thought of it that way."

"Because you usually don't think like me." I stare at my hand that touches Phil's collarbone before putting it down and slowly move it back towards his palm.

This time, Phil pulls his hand back and puts it at his side, "Dan, I can't-"

"No. It's fine. I-I'm sorry that was...uncalled for."

"Dan-"

"Phil, it's fine. I'm sorry."

Phil lets out a sad sigh, "No Dan, I'm sorry I'm acting this way. I'm just..."

"Don't worry. I understand." I give a fake smile to mask how hurt I feel right now.

Phil's such a yo-yo with his emotions and it really screws with me. I guess I'm a yo-yo with mine as well. I forget that I have such strong limits now and I greatly push them, making me coward down.

"I don't think you do..." He whispers as he places his head in his hands, "I'm just so, confused."

I lightly grabs Phil's wrists and remove his hands that covered his face, "Confused about what?"

"So many things." He says with pleading eyes.

"You can tell me you know." I quickly say.

Phil's hands begin to tremble and he tightly clasps is fingers around my hands. They instantly stop trembling as they make contact with me. I'm quick to comply and make our fingers intertwine once more, wanting nothing more but to lightly kiss the man sitting in front of me with such confusion.

"I-I can't I-I-"

"Danny!" Jaxon exclaims. Phil drops my hand immediately as Jaxon jumps up onto the hospital bed.

I smile widely in shock and embrace the small child in front of me, "You didn't tell me that Winnie was here." I happily say to Phil.

"Yeah, um, he was in the hallway. I had your nurse watch him."