41 // Hail, Hydra

C H A P T E R   41 :   H A I L ,  H Y D R A

"Just run that race, little soldier
No one's gonna win any time soon
Just know your role, little soldier
Don't get left behind, right? Alright

Okay, how we gonna do this?
Someone's got a body, the sober can't manoeuvre
Yeah, I wanna stay, but I don't want to fight
Used to feel like we were doing alright
Then we got older, not good
Nobody does what they told you they would
Did what I should and what I was told
Kept my whole time, my eyes half closed"

Felicia's POV

After a heartfelt goodbye and leaving the kitten in a shelter, James and I packed everything and left the wooden house for our mission. HYDRA's headquarters were located in a giant underground facility within the woods and mountains of West Virginia. There were no signs of civilization within several miles, with the nearest highway being considerably far away.

We arrived at the forest early in the morning and after almost an hour of silent walking, I spotted the first security cameras hidden in the trees dozens of yards away, and I used an improved EMP to destabilize them at the same time James prepared our assault rifles and attached the silencers.

Some yards closer, I saw the first guards and James and I quickly laid out on the ground and adjusted our stances to maximize the accuracy of each shot, since we didn't want to give any of them the chance to warn the base. There were a number of factors to consider when calculating the bullet's trajectory, including wind, temperature, humidity, air pressure, altitude, the coriolis effect, or the shape and weight of the bullet, and James did all that in a matter of seconds, as if it was as easy as adding two plus two. It took me a little longer to calculate everything, but once I did, I nodded at him and he signaled to fire.

After framing our targets in the scopes and holding our breaths, our fingers moved in sync against the triggers, the vibranium bullets shattering the distance at an incredible speed and hitting each guard on the head with an instant death. James and I quickly got up and split to complete the rest of the first steps of our plan: while I cut off the communications and phone lines to prevent the base from reaching out to others, he used a second, even more powerful EMP that would reach the underground to disrupt the power grid, radios and any electronic devices within the base.

Gotta send Tony Stark a thank you letter after this. Or maybe just tell him he really should upgrade his own security because stealing his tech is easier than stealing a wallet from a guy in the subway and flirting with him at the same time. Not that I've ever done that.

"Let's go." James murmured as we ran across a seemingly normal, plain glade with tall trees and terrain wet from the rain. If it wasn't for the camouflaged HYDRA guards I had been able to spot, no one would suspect that underneath all that soil was the base of a terrorist organization.

But I guessed monsters always wore the most normal of faces.

James had chosen this entrance because out of the few existing ones it was the least guarded. After sweeping the foliage from the ground, we found a large, rectangular, rusty sewer grate that he easily opened with his metal arm, my nose instantly feeling attacked by the repulsive smell coming out of it. James was about to jump in when I grabbed his arm and stopped him.

"I'll go first." I muttered. "I can see in the dark, I'll guide us."

He nodded and handed me the rope, but I shook my head and jumped right in, landing softly on my feet. It was a big fall, but I had fallen more and worse in the past.