An Unexpected Arrival

First off, I'd love to thank you guys so much for staying with this story. 3.5K reads may not seem like much to some of you, but it means a lot to me. Comment/vote/whatever you want

I love you all. Stay beautiful

~Alone

[I found this image accidentally after I'd already typed this chapter and it fits perfectly. This is almost exactly how I imagine Night]

-----------------------------------------

Chapter Eleven: An Unexpected Arrival

[Night]

I'd been stuck in this retched place for a week before anything happened. I was at Raven's beck and call, and I made sure to act as lifeless as the doll he wanted me to be. To him I was a toy, a servant, and a plaything. 

The bastard. 

In truth there wasn't very much being asked of me here. All I was meant to do was stand at Raven's side, a bit off to the shadows and do as he asked when he asked it of me. 

I was little more than a dog. 

The people living in Raven's castle openly expressed their displeasure towards me in their own way. None of them were particularly hostile, just faintly threatening. However one person, a man by the name of Eli, who did everything within his immortal power to make my existence even more miserable than it already was. To him I was an usurper, a trespasser in their midst, and I needed to be disposed of. 

About two weeks into my servitude, the dusk began with energetic preparations with an arrival of some kind. The grounds were polished from top to bottom, and the members of the household busied themselves with unnecessarily sprucing themselves up. I was surrounded by men in suits, the look timeless but each revealing their ages by what they chose to accessorize with. The women wore clothing accordingly, many wearing tight corseted gowns that touched the floor. 

"Night, help me with this, will you?" Raven's voice pulled me from my inner monologue. He was trying to tie a cravat. Raven wore a simple white dress shirt and black pants. A black tailcoat lay on a chair beside the mirror into which he was currently looking into. 

"I'm afraid I can't..." I responded. Who the hell wears those things anyways? Why not just choose a normal tie?

Raven let out an exasperated sigh before taking it off and casting it aside. "Well I guess it can't be helped..." He turned and held his arms outwards from his sides. "Help me with my jacket." 

This bastard...! I bit the inside of my cheek as I picked up the jacket and helped him put it on. 

"My father and elder brothers will be returning home shortly," Raven ran a hand through his unruly black hair. "So the puppets have come alive." He looked at me with his dark eyes slightly less alive than before. "This house is about to become a minefield." 

I stepped back from Raven and he fixed his sleeves in the mirror. Even though the formal attire wasn't his style, it suited him much better than what he normally wore. He looked timeless somehow. 

"Ah, yes. That reminds me." Raven walked over to his bed and picked a box off of the duvet. "I had this made for you." He tossed the box my direction and I caught it deftly. 

"Go on, open it." 

Inside, wrapped gently in some gauzy material, was a black jacket. I pulled it out, allowing the box to fall to the floor. 

The material was fine like cloth, but had a tough leather feel to it. White trimmings accented the sleeves, lapel and tail. It was beautiful. I was touched, although I wouldn't show it.