I Could Never Hate You

Chapter 13 - I Could Never Hate You

We rode to the top of the hill at the side of Helm's Deep. Gandalf was on my right and Legolas and Gimli on my left.

"Sauron's wrath will be terrible, his retribution swift." Gandalf said. I looked over to the other side of the hill on Mordor. The dark sky became red as thunder and lightening erupted. "The battle for Helm's Deep is over. The battle for Middle-earth is about to begin. All our hopes now lie with two little hobbits... Somewhere in the wilderness." Gandalf spoke in a low voice at the end. I gulped nervously at his words. I was so worried for Frodo and Sam but I had faith in them, still. "I shall return to Isengard, and those who will may come with me. There we may see some strange things." Gandalf said and I was curious to why he wanted to ride all the way to Isengard. But whatever his reason was, I would go with him.

"Isengard?" Theoden questioned. "Saruman is defeated, why should you ride to his stronghold?"

"I wish to speak with Saruman, as soon as may be now." Gandalf said.

"Then I will come with you, if that is your counsel." The King said and we, meaning Legolas, Gimli, Aragorn, Theoden, Eomer, Gamling and I, rode with Gandalf.

***

As we rode through the forest, everyone was silent for we were all exhausted from the battle. It was a long ride through the forest, and I was glad to see the sun again when we reached the end of the forest. I loved forests, the trees, the sounds... but this time I was cold and I only wanted to wash off the dirt and blood on my face. Suddenly, I heard laughter ahead... I recognized that laugh! I smiled slightly as I knew that it was Merry and Pippin! I saw them, sitting on top of a stone wall, smoking, drinking and eating. Merry then stood up and raised his arms.

"Welcome, my Lords to Isengard!" He shouted at us. My smile grew even wider as I heard his voice.

"You young rascals! A merry hunt you've led is on and now we find you feasting and... and smoking!" Gimli said.

"We are sitting on a field of victory enjoying a few well earned comforts." Pippin said as he ate a sandwich. "The salted pork is particularly good." He added. Pippin seemed a little more tipsy than he usually was... And so did Merry.

"Salted pork?" Gimli said.

"Hobbits." Gandalf mumbled but I heard him clearly.

"We're under orders from Treebeard, who's taken over management of Isengard." Merry explained.

The hobbits then climbed off of the wall and walked towards us. I pulled Pippin and sat him behind me on my horse whilst Merry rode with Eomer. We slowly rode towards Orthanc through dirty water. When we arrived in front of the tower, there was an Ent, whom I guessed was Treebeard, standing in front of us.

"Hooom, young master Gandalf, I'm glad you've come. Wood and water, stock and stone I can master, but there is a wizard to manage here locked in his tower." Treebeard spoke in a low and slow voice.

"Show yourself." Aragorn whispered, speaking to Saruman.

"Be careful! Even in defeat, Saruman is dangerous." Gandalf warned us.

"Then let's just have his head and be done with it." Gimli said and I rolled my eyes playfully. Oh, Gimli, always the fastest solution with you.

"No, we need him alive. We need him to talk." Gandalf said.

"You have fought many wars and slain many men, Theoden King, and made peace afterwards." I heard a deep and menacing voice speak. I looked up and saw Saruman at the top of Orthanc, his staff in his hands. Pippin held me tighter as he continued to speak. "Can we not take counsel together as we once did, my old friend? Can we not have peace you and I?"