The Wolves of Isengard

Chapter 11 - The Wolves of Isengard

I was walking alone beside my horse. Well, the horse that someone had lent me. Two guards, Hama and Gamling, rode past me quickly. I furrowed my brows as I wondered why they looked like they were worried. I mounted my horse quickly and followed them as I began to worry myself.

"Wargs!" I heard someone shout in front of me. I arrived beside them just in time to see Legolas come running down the hillside and shoot the Warg with an arrow before killing the rider with his knives.

"A scout!" He shouted before he looked up to me. We looked at each other in the eyes for a moment but I looked away when I heard Aragorn shout that we were under attack. I turned my horse to face him and saw the people of Rohan panicking. My heart began to pound faster as I thought of all the ones who couldn't fight. What would they do to defend themselves of a Warg appeared in front of them?

"Get them out of here!" Aragorn shouted and I looked at the children as I hoped with all of my heart that nothing would happen to them. I hopped off my horse as I arrived beside Legolas at the top of the hill. I saw many Wargs running towards us and I looked at him. He seemed very concentrated on what was happening in front of him and for a moment I realized how handsome he looked when he was preparing himself for a battle. I turned my head back to the Wargs in front of me and I took my bow and an arrow out of my quiver. I looked at the Warg closest to me and fired. My arrow hit the Warg right in the head and I saw it fall to the ground. I fired another arrow before I saw the other riders come on their horse behind me. I mounted my horse quickly while Legolas quickly turned and grabbed the strapping around his horse and swiftly swung himself up to the saddle, in front of Gimli. As my horse ran towards the Wargs, behind a few other horses, I took another arrow out and prepared myself to shoot it at the first Warg I would see. The Wargs and the riders in front of me clashed as the battle started and I fired my first arrow. I hit my target right between his two eyes but I soon realized that there were too many and I didn't want to get my horse hurt. So I dismounted and fired a few arrows around me, still standing close to my horse. I heard some grumbling to my right and noticed that Gimli was stuck beneath a Warg and an Orc. I made my way up to him just in time to see another Warg come crawling over him. I fired an arrow at the back of its head and it fell on top of Gimli. I didn't have time to help him anymore because a Warg had appeared behind me. I barely had time to take out a knife and stab it in its throat just as he was going to attack me. I breathes heavily as I checked to see if my horse was alright.

"Nîdh!" I whispered to myself as I looked at a cut on my hand. I had absolutely no idea how that had happened but it burned so much. I forgot about if quickly because I soon realized that Aragorn was nowhere to be seen. "Aragorn!" I shouted as I looked around the field for him.

"Aragorn!" Legolas shouted as he did the same. He arrived beside me and I looked at him with a questioning look on my face.

"Where is he?" I asked him, almost in a whisper.

"Aragorn?" Gimli said loudly as he arrived beside us. I shook my head over and over as I walked towards the cliff top. He couldn't be dead... No... It was impossible. I stopped beside Legolas, who was examining something on the ground. I heard an Orc laughing and we both ran towards it.

"Tell me what happened and I will ease your passing!" Gimli told the Orc as he raised his axe.

"He's... Dead." The Orc said and I shit my eyes to stop the tears from coming. I opened them again as he said something else. "He took a little tumble off the cliff."

"You lie!" Legolas said as he kneeled down and grabbed the filthy creature. The Orc froze there, dying as Legolas let go of him. He looked down at the Orc's hands and took something out of them. It was Arwen's Evenstar necklace... She gave it to Aragorn before we left Rivendell... Was Aragorn really dead? No he couldn't be. A great warrior like Aragorn would not have died in a small fight like this one. Something went wrong, for sure... But he wasn't dead. He stood up and looked at me, his eyes filled with worry. I grabbed the Evenstar from his hands quickly and turned my back to him as I walked to the edge of the cliff. The river below had a very fast and strong flow, and there was no body. If Aragorn had really fell off the cliff as the Orc had said, he probably didn't make it. I felt a tear run down my cheek as I looked down at the Evenstar necklace. My thoughts wondered to memories in Rivendell with Aragorn when he was a little boy. I was the only one who really spent time with him because I wanted to, not because I was told to. I taught him how to speak Sindarin because no one else has the patience to deal with the little human. Then when he was a teenager, in human years anyway, we would get on our horses and ride in the woods for hours. Oh, how good life was back then. I didn't have to constantly be checking my surroundings for Wargs or Orcs or any other foul creature. Then I thought of Arwen... She was devastated when Aragorn and I had left. I knew she was mostly sad to see Aragorn leave... But Aragorn had told me after we left that she had asked him to always keep an eye on me. I smiled slightly at the thought of Aragorn fighting invisible creatures when he was a young boy.