Andùril

Chapter 16 - Andùril

"Make way for the King!" A soldier shouted as we rode through the camp. I was beside Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli behind us.

"Grimbold, how many?" Theoden asked as he examined the soldiers.

"I bring five hundred men from the Westfold, my lord." Grimbold replied.

"We have three hundred more from Fenmarch." Gamling said.

"Where are the riders from Snowbourn? The king asked.

"None have come, my Lord." Gamling answered. I winced at his words but I remained calm. We needed more men to defeat Sauron's armies. We stopped our horses further ahead and dismounted. I tried to calm my horse, but they all seemed to be restless. I eventually gave up and walked up to Aragorn who was talking with the King.

"Six thousand spears, less than half of what I had hoped for." Theoden said as we looked down on the armies.

"Six thousands will not be enough to break the lines of Mordor." Aragorn told him, solemnly.

"More will come." Theoden said before he started walked away.

"Every hour lost hastens Gondor's defeat. We have until dawn then we must ride." Aragorn said. The king nodded before leaving.

"What now?" I asked him and he sighed. "We do not have enough man to defeat Sauron's armies. You said it yourself." I told him.

"We will find a way." He said in a low voice. I nodded slowly. A neighing horse attracted our attention and we both turned around. I noticed how much difficulty the men were having to calm down the horses that still seemed restless. As if they sensed something dangerous.

"The horses are restless and the men are quiet." Legolas said as I walked closer to him.

"They grow nervous in the shadow of the mountain." Eomer told us.

"That road there," Gimli pointed to a dark pathway in the mountain. "Where does that lead?" He asked.

"It is the road to the Dimholt, the door under the mountain." Legolas answered as he gazed at the path.

"None who venture there ever return. That mountain is evil." Eomer said. I looked intently at the pathway and I thought I saw a shadowy figure. Almost invisible, but definitely a man. Had that only been my imagination? I looked away and saw that Aragorn was also staring at the path.

"Come on lads, let's find some food." Gimli said and walked away. I looked curiously at Aragorn as we walked away with Gimli.

"You saw something, didn't you?" I asked him ms he simply nodded. So it was not my imagination. I had actually seen a figure of a man. But he did not seem real... How? I tried to think of something else for I did not want to worry myself so much right before a battle. But I could not stop thinking about it. I tried to think of why I felt like I knew what I had seen... Then it hit me.

"The Paths of the Dead..." I whispered to myself.

"What did you say, lassie?" Gimli asked me and I lifted my head to look at him.

"Nothing." I replied quickly. I did not want him to worry for nothing. I stood up and walked over to Eowyn's tent. I knew I could talk to her and it would make me feel better, for I was truly worried now. I entered the tent and saw that she was helping Merry get all dressed up for battle. I smiled at them, even though I was very concerned. She looked around, looking for something, and I passed her the helmet. She thanked me and placed it on Merry's head that looked tiny with the big helmet on it.