Chapter 10

Caroline's POV

I ran as fast I could, pushing myself to the max. I needed to get away from him. Tears were clouding my vision but I blinked and wiped them away. I shouldn't be crying, not over him. But I was and I refused to admit to myself why.

It's because in that short time you fell for him Caroline.

I ignored the voice in the back of my head and ran faster. I arrived at my house in no time. Running through the house I came to my room and slammed the door. Getting under the covers I lay there, just crying. When Elizabeth came home I could hear her heart beating right outside of my door. I knew she was debating whether I wanted to be alone or not. She's never seen me like this and I've never felt like this. It's kind of crazy if you think about it. I've lived for centuries, and yet this is my first real heartbreak. Something has always told me to hold back, to not get too attached. But this time that same voice told me to go all in, and I did. I didn't hold anything back. I gave this relationship everything I had. I fell for a monster.

My door opened and someone walked in, but I didn't turn around to see who. I continued my crying and sniffling. My bed dipped and I was soon squashed in between two bodies. One body was behind my back and curled their arm around my waist. The other person was in front me. They grabbed my arm and curled it around their shoulders, rubbing soothing circles onto it. I didn't acknowledge their presence with words, just cried harder. "Shh, it'll all be okay Caroline." Elena. "Tell us what happened Care." Bonnie.

I let out a shaky breath, "You were right Elena." I felt her body stiffen against me. "Nik was using me. But he wasn't one of Klaus' minions or henchmen. He was Klaus. He is Klaus." I sat up and they moved with me. I pulled my knees up and gathered the cover tightly around me, "He used me. And the worst part is that I actually fell for him. I thought he fell for me too. How pathetic does that make me?! I kissed him, let him lay in my bed, invited him into my house. I cuddled with the devil!" I felt arms come around me and I was pulled into a chest. I looked up to see Bonnie's face. She was rubbing my back, "It's okay Caroline." I lay there for a minute till I looked over at Elena. I sat up, "I'm so sorry Elena. I should have listened to you, but I didn't tell him anything. I swear." She only nodded before she excused herself to go make a phone call. She was probably calling Stefan to tell him.
*********

When Elena came back her and Bonnie left to go discuss the new plan of action. They asked if I wanted to come but I declined their offer. I just wanted to be alone.

It's been a few days since everything hit the fan, and I haven't left my bedroom since. I tried to get Elizabeth to go stay somewhere else since Klaus could come in anytime he wanted to but she refused. So now she brings me a blood bag right before she leaves for work and brings me one when she gets home.

I don't touch them though. I know not eating, or drinking in my case, isn't the way to handle this. Starving myself isn't the way to handle this. But I can't help it. There are moments when all I feel is hunger and nothing else. The more I starve myself the more frequent and longer those moments are. Is it sad that those times are what I look forward to everyday? When all the pain of what he did and my self resentment is gone. I hate myself for having such strong feelings for him. I hate myself for not being able to see through the little British accent and the dimples. And I hate myself for being the weakest link. He wouldn't have targeted me if I was stronger.

I hear a knock on my door and the last person I'd expect to see walks in, Damon Salvatore. "Get up Blondie." he says, throwing clothes from my drawers at me. I groan, "Damon what do you want? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Just leave me alone." I pull the covers back over me. Right when I think he gave up the cover is snatched from my body and thrown out of my window. I screech and run to hide behind my closet door, since I'm in my underwear, "What the hell Damon!" He smirks, "I said, get up. We have work to do." I scoff, "Get out Damon. I'm not asking." He only plops down on my bed, "Neither am I. Now I will sit here until you decide to come with me." He's not serious, right? I stand there staring him down, waiting for him to crack. After a ten minute staring contest he still hasn't left. "Ugh." He smirks again, "That's right. I'm not going anywhere."

Accepting my fate I grab some clothes and flash to the bathroom, making sure he didn't see anything he wasn't supposed to. I take the longest shower of my life, since I haven't taken one in a while. Getting out I throw on some sweatpants and a black t-shirt. I also slip on my flip flops and then walk out the bathroom. Damon looks over at me from my bed and scrunches up his nose, "Who the hell are you and what have you done with vampire barbie?" I scowl at him, "That was hilarious. It was so funny that I forgot to laugh. You're lucky I even showered for you. Now let's go." I say, putting my hair into a messy bun.

He only shrugs and we walk to his car. Getting in the passenger side I lay my head on the window as he starts driving. Okay so I'm not a ray of sunshine today, but what did he expect? If I don't feel all happy and bubbly inside why should I dress in bright colors that suggest that I do? I'm wearing black because it represents my soul in this very moment. Okay, so that's not true but still. I'm sad and black is a sad color right? My mind drifts to when Nik came over my house and he was dressed in all black. I remembered how great he looked- Stop it Caroline! I can't think about him.

We get to Damon's house faster than I would have liked and in no time I'm sitting on that couch they have and everyone is not so subtly staring at me. Stefan is talking about something right now and every fifteen seconds, exactly, someone in the room turns to look at me for ten seconds. It's starting to annoy me and I almost explode. Stefan notices this and quickly grabs everyone's attention, "So what are we going to do about this?" He said it louder than it needed to be said, which grabbed their attention. I send him a grateful look and he only nods his head. I knew there was a reason I stuck with him for all these years.

I don't pay attention to anything they're saying. After what feels like a decade they start to get up. I go to walk out the door, but only get to the threshold when I realize I caught a ride here. Elena is the first I see walk out, "Hey could you give me a lift? Damon brought me here and I'm positive he won't take me back home." She nods. "I'm just going to check on Jeremy so I could drop you off." I nod and get in her car. The car ride is silent and I'm grateful for it. I don't need to be asked if I'm okay right now. I'd only lie anyway.

Finally pulling up to my house I get out of the car. Turning to Elena to thank her I hear, and see, her gasp in surprise. I make a funny face and turn around. Anger, not fear, courses through my body at the sight in front of me. Niklaus Mikaelson is sitting on my front porch, staring at me.