Chapter 2

Klaus POV

I wake up covered in sweat. That day still haunts me, every night in my dreams. It has been over eighty years since that day and I still have Rebekah in a box with a dagger in her chest. I couldn't bare to look at her face and be reminded of those golden locks and deep sea blue eyes. Everyday I try to capture her beauty on paper, but I never can. The sparkle in her eyes can't be captured on a small piece of paper, neither can the light that fills a room when she smiles. I have caught myself on the brink of flipping the switch on several occasions, but every time I see her smile and hear her laugh. That's when the guilt sets in. The fact that I was even thinking about forgetting her, it felt like a betrayal. But I have betrayed her before, more times than I care to keep track of.

Every once in awhile, when the pain gets too much, I find a willing woman and take her to my bed. If we ever get that far. I never have made it to my room with one of the many woman before. Only one person deserves to share a bed with me, and I will hold her spot till time itself ends. Just when the human reaches her climax and she is a writhing mess beneath me, I grab her neck and suck her dry. I allow myself to indulge in the euphoric taste for a minute, and then I toss the lifeless body away from me in disgust. This is my cycle. Sometimes I even question why I am still here, on this Earth, and then I realize, there is a chance that I might see her again. When the day comes that I finally defeat Mikael, I could find her, give her back her memories, and finally feel whole. I just need one thing, my curse to be broken. Once I break it, I will kill Mikael and finally be free. Free from the curse and him. He is a constant threat hanging over my head.

These are the thoughts that drive me every morning. All I need is the doppelganger and the moonstone. I flash to the bathroom to get ready and when I'm done I head out the door. My witch Greta believes that she has found the location of the next doppelganger and the moonstone. If she has, I am one step closer to killing Mikael and getting my sweet Caroline back.

Caroline POV

"Caroline! Wake up! It's time for school!" I groan and bury my head deeper into my pillow. I decide not to get up and to just go back to sleep, but of course Liz comes stomping up the small flight of stairs to my bedroom insisting that I get up for school. She yanks the covers off of me, "Caroline, I know you heard me. It's impossible for you not to have heard me." I groan into my pillow again and finally pull my head up to look at her, she is in her sheriff uniform, obviously going to work. "Yes Liz, I heard you." I say, smiling sweetly. She smiles back, "Well then, get up so I can drive you to school." Then she walks out of my room.

Once she leaves I get out of my bed and head to the bathroom. Once there, I take a nice warm shower before getting ready for school. When I come out to get dressed I decide on a floral print dress with a nice pink sweater and belt. My shoes are just regular old pink flats. When I come down the stairs I see Liz waiting for me. She hands me a thermos and I already know that it's filled with my breakfast, B positive. I smile sweetly at her, "Thanks Liz." She smiles, but it soon falls when she realizes what I'm doing, "You're going to school, no ifs, ands, or buts about it. Now get in the car." She then turns around and walks towards her car. I huff, take a nice long swig of the blood, and head out towards the car. Once I'm in I buckle my seatbelt and wait for the "before school speech" that I get every morning. As she pulls off I can see her fingers tense on the wheel, this is the tell-tale sign that she is about to start the speech.

She lets out a long sigh, "Caroline, I know that we go over this everyday, but I still need to tell you. If you get a craving during school, just call me. I will leave work and bring you a blood bag, I don't have a problem with doing that. And don't forget about the vervain in the town water supply, one slip and you'll have to leave. And I don't want that, you are family, almost like a daughter to me. I love you, so please, be careful."

I turn and smile at her, she does this every morning and I really do love her for it, but the same speech gets a tad bit annoying after a little while. "I love you too Liz. And don't worry, I will be careful, but remember, I am a centuries old vampire, I can take care of myself. Especially at a high school." She laughs. We ride the rest of the way in silence. I remember the first time I met Liz, she was just an itty, bitty baby. She was so cute and small. I had decided to watch her grow up, since, after all, she was a descendent of my family. I even named her, Elizabeth Forbes. We have always been pretty close and when she had grown up and decided to move to a little town called Mystic Falls, I came with her. When she became the sheriff I had already been here a while, so I had friends. To everyone else we are Caroline and Liz Forbes, mother and daughter. But we are actually really, really, really, distant cousins.

She is like a mother to me though, even when we aren't playing the mother daughter role in public. She is always on me about my homework, even though I've lived through half of it and the other half I was there when it was first invented. School isn't all that bad, I mean I have my friends. They know that I am a vampire and they are actually fine with it. They weren't at first, but they eventually came around. I do have one friend that is also a vampire, my best friend Stefan Salvatore. We met a few decades back and now we are thick as thieves. It was his idea to go to school, to try and at least act like humans. I didn't regret it because if I hadn't have gone I never would have met Elena Gilbert and Bonnie Bennett, my other two best friends.

Stefan and I had agreed that they didn't need to know in the beginning, but they eventually found out. I was actually glad that they knew, it was like a weight had been lifted off of my shoulders. Turns out Stefan was just really afraid of Elena's reaction. He really loves her, I can tell, and she loves him too. They are the perfect couple.

I hear the squeak of tires and turn my head towards the window to see Mystic Falls High School, home of the Timberwolves. I sigh and get out of the car, grabbing my bag I scream out a, "Bye mom!" over my shoulder. She nods at me and drives away. I have always found it a bit weird when I call her mom, I know it's to keep up appearances but I am a centuries old vampire and she is a human in her late thirties. Weird right?

As I walk into school and head to my locker, I already spot my friends. Bonnie is busy kissing Jeremy, Elena's younger brother, and Elena is at her locker with Stefan. Needless to say, if a teacher saw them I sure that they would be in big trouble. It's a little weird to see all of my friends in happy and loving relationships. I mean, I'm happy for them, but I would still like to have at least a smidgen of what they have. It's not like I haven't had my own relationships, I've had a lot over the years. They just never stick. I haven't met the one, as they all say. I've been in love before, but something was always missing. Some part of me just always said, it's not him.

When I see Bonnie and Elena making their way towards me I toss my thoughts to the back of my mind. "Hey Care." they say in unison. It makes me laugh, "Hey guys, what's up?" They both shake their head as an answer, and we laugh again. When the bell rings we head to class. First class of the day, math. I don't like math and it doesn't like me, but we tolerate each other. As Mr. Flynn starts his lesson I let out an exaggerated sigh, this is going to be a long day.

By the time lunch is finally here I have been to five of my classes and only have two left. I grab my lunch, careful not to get water, and sit at my usual table. When Elena, Stefan, Bonnie, and Jeremy join me we have little conversations about this and that. Mostly about cheerleading practices and routines. When the bell rings again, signaling that lunch is over, I dump my tray and walk to my class. This class is my favorite, it's history with Mr. Saltzman. He and my friends have a weird relationship, he knows about vampires and at one point in time he was a vampire hunter. Turns out Damon, Stefan's psycho older brother, killed his wife, but when he find out they did what guys usually do.They threw a few punches, or in this case stakes and punches, and then they became best friends. I find it weird how he could just forgive Damon like that, I mean the guy killed your wife, come on now. But of course Alaric and Damon are now two peas in a pod.

When school is finally over, I walk home. The walk is nice and the fresh air is, well, refreshing. Out of nowhere my phone buzzes. I stop to fish it out of my purse and see that I got a text from Stefan.

Stefan: Meet me at my house. We have a problem.