The pier was dark and Kiedi could swear that she could hear a pin drop as they approached. "Are you sure we're in the right place?" Kiedi asked just before the whole place burst into light startling her.

"Happy birthday!!" the crowd shouted. Luke heard a gasp of shock in the back but chose to ignore it as he focused all his attention on the beauty by his side. Luke felt Kiedi tense and unconsciously linked their palms together; she looked up at him and blushed.

"You didn't tell me it was your birthday," Kiedi whispered (pity it was a wasted effort because half the people there could still hear her), "I didn't get to give you a present."

Luke kissed the back of her hand and looked into her eyes, "You're all the present I need," the room erupted in gasps of 'awe' and applause. Luke watched with secret delight as Kiedi flushed a deep scarlet.

"Dance with me?" Luke asked. He heard her heart start beating faster and wondered if it was due to fear of dancing in public or because she didn't want to dance with him, before he could ask Leo and the others approached.

"Kiedi that dress is absolutely gorgeous!" Jasmine squealed from the confines of Cooger's arms.

Cooger agreed with her and told her that she looked great. Carl, not one for smiling and long talking, simply nodded in approval at her. Of course Kyle would have to be the one who would be the most dramatic in his compliment.

"You have to give me a dance Kie," he said stepping forward to pry her from Luke's grasp and twirl her around, eyeing her as if she were a piece of fine china. "Very nice," he commented staring at her ass.

Lukas was just about ready to go slap Kyle and take back his mate forcefully when his twin sidestepped in front of him and more tactfully removed Kiedi from Kyle's grasp.

"You look beautiful," Leo added as he gently placed Kiedi's hands back into Luke's.

Kiedi was already as red as a rose from all the compliments, something she wasn't use to, by the time she turned back to look at Luke. Kiedi smiled her gratitude at them and brought her gaze up to Luke. He was staring straight into her eyes; his eyes such a captivating clear blue that she felt her knees go wobbly beneath her.

The others started drifting away after that and Luke repeated his earlier question and listened as she had the same reaction as before. Leo the only one who remained at that point made an observation to them, his gaze focused intently on Luke as he said:

"The beach is rather empty; it would be perfect for a nice romantic walk... away from the crowd... and audience,"

Luke got the message and holding her hand led Kiedi down a stone step path to the beach. Kiedi not wanting to fall eventually took off her slippers and held them in her hand.

"Remind me to thank your brother for me one of these days,' Kiedi said when the light from the pier could no longer reach them and they were bathed in moonlight.

"What'd he do?"

"Just saved me from public humiliation," Luke let go of her hand then and walked down to where the waves hit the shore, little tendrils of water caressing his shoes.

"You think dancing with me is that bad?" Kiedi heard him say dryly.

"No, why would you say something like that?" she dropped her shoes and came over to touch his shoulder nervously.

"I saw how nervous and pale you got when I asked you to dance."

"That's because I can't dance," she whispered.