Everything Went Wrong

'Sofie'. That's what the name on the little paper plate had said.

"You okay?" Maggie asked as she and Daryl walked the dark halls.

"Fine," he said shortly.

"Daryl-"

"Said 'm fine," he snapped. "Let's just get this shit an' go, a'right? Baby can't wait too long."

Maggie nodded and followed after him, knowing that if Daryl really wanted to talk then he would.

They were lucky. A pack of diapers and a couple cans of formula had been left behind. It wasn't much, but it would do until they could make a proper run.

Daryl still didn't say anything as they left the building and got back on the motorcycle. But Maggie didn't understand. She might think she did, but she didn't. Daryl wasn't not talking to her because he didn't want to (not that he particularly wanted to), but more because he couldn't. He wouldn't know where to start.

Carol was gone. T-Dog and Lori too. There was a little baby back at the prison who could die if they didn't get back soon and a boy who had just lost his mother and whose father wasn't in good shape.

Daryl thought the prison was supposed to be better than being outside So far it wasn't seeming that way. Hershel got bit and now... How many more were they going to lose?

Amy, Ed (not that he was a real loss), Jim, Shane (again, not a huge loss), Otis, Patricia, Jimmy, Merle, Sophia... Now T-Dog, Lori, and... Carol.

Daryl's grip tightened slightly on the handlebars of his bike. It had been good, him and Carol. It had been really good and Daryl thought that maybe life didn't have to be so awful just because the dead were up and walking.

But he was a Dixon and Dixons didn't get good lives. If nothing had proved this to him before, Sophia and Carol sure as hell did.

Daryl pushed those thoughts aside as the prison came into view. Right now there was a baby girl in there who needed to eat and Daryl would be damned if they lost her too.

SAFEKEEPINGSAFEKEEPINGSAFEKEEPINGSAFEKEEPINGSAFEKEEPING

It was late and everyone was asleep. Well, almost everyone.

Maggie was pacing back and forth with a crying Lil' Asskicker in her arms. Glenn sat by watching, wanting to help, but Maggie had already said she was fine.

They heard footsteps and Maggie looked up, seeing Daryl walking towards them.

"Sorry, did she wake you?" Maggie asked.

"Wasn't sleepin'," Daryl replied, "I can take her."

"Oh, no, you don't have to-"

"Maggie," Daryl interrupted, "Ya done a lot today. Ya don't gotta do anymore."

Maggie stared at him as tears welled in her eyes. She nodded and passed the baby off to Daryl as Glenn came and stood behind her, placing his hands on her arms.

"Thank you," he mouthed to Daryl as he steered her to their cell.

Daryl walked out of the cell block, hoping to find a quiet place to sit with the baby. He ended up outside. It was warm out and there was no way the rest of the group would be able to hear her out here.

"Thank you for that," someone said just after Daryl had gotten settled with her. He turned and saw Hershel standing there.

"For what?" he asked.

"For what you said to her," Hershel told him, limping forward. "She's been bearing herself up about this whole thing."

"Ain't her fault," Daryl said, "Wouldn't a' made a difference if it were her or you or-" He stopped, turning back to look at the baby.

"Or Carol?" Hershel guessed and Daryl's jaw tightened. "You two were getting close."

Daryl said nothing.

"Losing people now is hard," Hershel went on, "But losing ones you love."

"Who said I love her?" Daryl asked quickly, an edge to his voice.

Hershel smiled gently at him. "You just did son."

Daryl just stared at him, clenching and unclenching his jaw.

"You're good with her," Hershel said and Daryl looked confused, both at what Hershel had said and the sudden change of subject. Hershel nodded his head at Lil' Asskicker and Daryl looked down. He hadn't even noticed that the baby in his arms had fallen asleep.

"All I done was hold her," he shrugged, "She jus' tired herself out."

"She feels safe with you," Hershel said, "That's good. We're all here to take care of her and Carl, but this little girl feels safe with you and I know Carl does too. They need someone like that, especially now."

"I ain't good with kids," Daryl said.

"That's not what I heard," Hershel said, "And that's not what I saw back on my farm either."

Sophia, that's who Hershel was talking about, Daryl knew.

"You'll be alright Daryl," Hershel said gently before he slowly turned and walked back inside.

Daryl stared after him for a moment before taking a deep breath. He looked down at the baby and knew what he had to do.

He went back inside the prison and found Beth, passing the baby off her to her, before grabbing his crossbow and heading to the tombs.

Sad chapter :( Things will get better soon!

Thanks so much for reading and let me know what you think!