I'll Protect Ya

It was their last night in the Quarry. In the morning they would heading out and driving to the CDC.

            Daryl stared at the burning embers of his fire. Part of him was glad to be leaving, moving on somewhere else. Especially since they knew walkers were definitely in the area. But another part of him didn't want to leave. Part of him was hoping that Merle was still alive and would find his way back. leaving the Quarry felt like leaving his brother.

            "Daryl?"

            He turned and saw Sophia standing there. The little girl seemed determined to be his shadow. What surprised Daryl the most though was that he didn't seem to mind. Daryl nodded her over and the girl scurried to sit next to him.

            "Where's yer momma?" he asked.

            "She was helping Lori make sure everything is packed for tomorrow," Sophia told him, "So I asked if I could come sit with you. Is that okay?"

            Daryl watched her for a moment, his eyes glancing over to where Carol was packing some stuff into one of the cars, before he finally nodded. Sophia beamed at him.

            "Why are you always over here by yourself?" Sophia asked.

            "I like it," Daryl told her, "Used ta bein' on my own."

            "I don't like being alone," Sophia said, "It's scary alone, especially now."

            "Ain't so bad," Daryl shrugged.

            "Are you scared for tomorrow?" Sophia asked.

            "Scared of what?" Daryl questioned.

            "Leaving," Sophia said, "We don't know what's out there."

            "Naw, not scared," Daryl said, "What's the point? Whatever's out there could come here." He realized half a second later that this was the wrong thing to say as Sophia's eyes widened in horror.

            "I don't want the walkers to come back here," she said quietly, "I don't want anyone else to die."

            "Ya got yer momma ta protect ya," Daryl said.

            "What if the walkers get her?" Sophia whispered.

            "Then I'll protect ya," Daryl told her.

            "You will?" she asked and he nodded. "Why?"

            Daryl just shrugged and Sophia stared at him for a second before she scooted over and hugged him. Daryl stiffened for a second before patting her head awkwardly. She scooted away again just as Carol walked over.

            "Hey you, we're al packed for tomorrow so it's time for bed," Carol said. Sophia stood and went over to her mother, wrapping her arms around her.

            "Momma, Daryl said he'll protect me from the walkers," she said.

            "Did he? Well, I'm definitely glad you hear that," she said, smiling down at Sophia, "Say goodnight to Daryl."

            Night Daryl," Sophia beamed at him.

            "Night," he said as she and Carol walked away. He sat there quietly, suddenly realizing that Sophia may have been right. Now he was alone, he was aware of just how quiet it was.

            "Hey," Carol's voice broke the silence.

            "Hey," Daryl said.

            "I feel like I keep disturbing you at night," she said, "I know you like to be alone and between me and Sophia-"

            "Ya ain't disturbin' me," Daryl interrupted her, "I don' mind the company." she smiled at him and they fell silent. Daryl realized though that this silence was different from the one when he'd been alone.

            "Did you mean it?" Carol asked and he looked at her. "About protecting Sophia?"

            "Course," Daryl said, "She was scared of what would happen if somethin' ever happened to ya an' I told 'er I'd protect 'er."

            "Thank you," Carol said, "It really is a relief for me to know if something ever happens to me that she'll be okay."

            "I'll protect ya too," Daryl said, "She don't hafta worry about anythin' happenin' ta her momma cause I ain't gonna let anythin' happen ta ya."

            Carol stared at him and Daryl felt the tips of his ears growing warm.

            "Thank you," Carol said again and she leaned over and kissed his cheek. He felt his face grow warmer as she pulled back and smiled at him. Daryl nodded slightly and, without another word, Carol stood and walked away.

Alright, and Caryl begins. As mentioned in the previous chapter, things won't really start happening until later when they're at the Greene farm and then even more when they're at the prison. Until then it'll mostly be really little things, but I doubt either of them would really be jumping the other's bones all of a sudden.

Hope you liked this chapter! Go vote for who you'd like to see live! Thanks for reading and let me know what you think!