Time Away

"Why did you ask m to come?" Carol asked, "All I've done is scare away everything."

"Don't matter," Daryl shrugged, "Not much to find out here right now anyway. Too hot."

"Then why did you insist we come out here?" Carol questioned.

"Get a lay of the land," Daryl said without looking at her. "Get away from everyone. Gettin' too claustrophobic in there."

"If you wanted to be away from everything why am I here?" Carol asked, her confusion growing. Daryl glanced at her and shrugged again, biting his lip. Carol stared at him, realizing dawning on her face as he turned away and began walking again.

"Daryl Dixon, did you ask me out here so we could spend time together away from the others?"

He could hear the teasing tone in her voice and felt his face growing hot.

Carol chuckled and quickened her step to catch up with him. Putting a hand on his shoulder, she leaned up and kissed his cheek.

"That's very sweet," she said, "It's nice to be away fro everyone."

Daryl just shrugged again, but she could see the pleased look on his face.

"So, you think we'll be able to make a life there? At the prison?"

"Think so," Daryl nodded, "Probably take a while to secure everything, but once we do I think it'll be good."

"D'you think we'll find more people?" Carol asked.

"'s a possibility," Daryl replied, "Doubt we're the on'y group out there, ya know? Gotta be others who're lookin' fer a place ta stay."

"And Rick will just let them in?" Carol said doubtfully. "Around Lori and Carl and the baby?"

"He won't let 'em in the cellblock," Daryl said, "Neither will I. Different block, jus' like the prisoners. Get ta know 'em, but keep us safe still."

Carol nodded, threading her fingers through Daryl's. She half expected him to putt away, but smiled gently when he didn't.

"Sophia would've loved it here," Carol said quietly. "All that space to run around... She had never seen a place like this before."

"A prison? I'd hope not," Daryl commented, "Ain't no place fer a little girl."

Carol laughed and nodded. "You know what I mean. She's never had this much space to play before. It would've been great. I could've taught her to shoot... to protect herself..."

"'m really sorry," Daryl said.

"Oh, no!" Carol exclaimed, stopping and placing her hands on either side of Daryl's face so he would look at her. "I wasn't saying any of that to upset you or make you feel bad. I was just thinking out loud, I'm sorry-"

"Don't be," Daryl said, "'m glad ya can talk about her with me."

She nodded.

"We should head back," Daryl said and they started the trek back to the prison.

"Are we- I mean... what are we... um..." Daryl stumbled over his words.

"Haven't we had this conversation before?" Carol asked, smiling in amusement.

"I know, but..." He trailed off, unsure of where he was going with this. Why the hell did he bring this up?

Before Carol had a chance to answer they heard groans and shuffling and Daryl pulled her behind a tree. He held a finger to his lips and she nodded, pressing closer to him as they waited for the couple walkers to pass. Once they did, Daryl and Carol breathed easier.

"We should head back," Daryl said, "'fore more come along. Can't be bothered ta kill 'em today."

Instead of answering, Carol leaned forward and pressed her lips hard against his. Well, that answered his question.

I know I haven't updated in quite a while. There's been some crazy stuff going on in my life lately which means I've kind of been neglecting all my writing.

I've managed to get a couple one-shots up, but any chapters for my weekly fanfics have basically been ignored lately. Same with my blog which I've kind of neglected these past few weeks as well.

I'm hoping to go back to weekly updates, but I don't want to make any promises I can't keep so for now I'll say the new chapter will be up soon.

Thank you so much for reading and all your patience! Let me know what you think!