Apologies

Warning: Swearing

            They didn't find her. They had looked and looked, even cut open a walker, but there was nothing.

            Daryl and Rick had returned to the highway an hour ago, just before it go dark. As soon as he saw the look on Carol's face, Daryl had hated himself. He had told her he would look after Sophia and so far he'd done a pretty shit job of it.

            Most of the group was asleep now, spread out in different cars. Dale was sat on top of the RV, keeping watch. He had thought he was the only one awake and was surprised when Daryl climbed on top of the RV.

            "I would've thought you'd be asleep," Dale said, "You're gonna need to rest before you go looking for Sophia tomorrow."

            "'m a'right?" Daryl shrugged, "I'll take watch tonight."

            "Are you sure?" Dale asked, "You really should get some sleep."

            "Ain't tired," Daryl said. Dale could see he was lying, but decided not to push him.

            "If you get tired just wake me and I'll take over," he said, patting Daryl's shoulder gently. He noticed the way Daryl flinched slightly and removed his hand quickly before climbing down the ladder and entering the RV.

            "I thought you were on watch?" Andrea asked,

            "Daryl volunteered to take over," Dale whispered and glanced over at Carol who he thought was sleeping, "I think hew feels guilty about not finding Sophia."

            Andrea nodded in understanding and they both fell silent, soon falling asleep. What they didn't know was that Carol wasn't asleep, but had been waiting for Dale and Andrea to drift off before she got up. She crept quietly out of the RV and climbed up the ladder. She made it to the top and was met with Daryl's surprised eyes.

            "Hi," he said quietly and Daryl grunted in response.

            "What're ya doin' up here?" he asked.

            "I heard Dale telling Andrea you had volunteered for watch," Carol replied, "Thought you might like some company." When Daryl said nothing, Carol felt her face growing warm.

            "You know what, this was stupid," she said, scrambling back over to the ladder. "I'll go."

            "Wait," he said and she looked up at him. "Stay."

            Carol hesitated, "Are you sure?"

            Daryl nodded and Carol slowly made her way over and sat next to him.

            "Are you alright?" she asked after a moment.

            "'m fine," Daryl said, but Carol wasn't buying it.

            "Daryl," she said gently and he grunted, looking down at his hands. She slowly reached over and rest her hand on top of his. He flinched again, just like with Dale, but when Carol went to pull back, Daryl grabbed her hand.

            "'m sorry," he mumbled and she looked at him in confusion.

            "What for?"

            "I said I'd protect her," Daryl said, "Both of ya. Now she's gone-"

            "Daryl, it's not your fault," she said, "I should've been watching her better. If I had then she wouldn't have been alone and-"

            "This ain't yer fault!" Daryl exclaimed, "We wasn't expectin' a herd ta come through. She got scared, she ran, end of story. Hell, what she did was probably the best thing for her ta do, 'stead of sittin' there and waitin' for someone ta help her. If ya can't fight, run. Simple as."

            Carol stared at him. She couldn't remember ever hearing Daryl speak to anyone that much.

            "Thank you," she said quietly.

            "When we find her, I'm gonna teach 'er ta protect herself," Daryl said, "Maybe not a gun, if ye don' wan' that. But a knife or somethin'. Jus' in case."

            "I'd like that," Carol said, "Do you think you would show me as well? It'd probably be good for me to learn how to protect the camp."

            "Soon as we find Sophia and find a place ta set up camp," Daryl nodded, "I'll show both of ya."

            "Thank you," Carol repeated and Daryl nodded.

            "You really believe you'll find her?" Carol asked, hating herself for even thinking it.

            "Course," Daryl said firmly, "Tha' little girl's gonna be fine. I'll stay out there fer days if I gotta."

            Carol didn't bother thanking him again. Instead, she slid a bit closer to his chair and, after a moment's hesitation, leaned slightly against him.

            "Is this okay?" she asked, thinking about how he had flinched earlier.

            "Ya," Daryl said, "'s fine."

Next chapter they're at the farm.

Thanks so much for reading and don't forget to vote! Let me know what you think!