Chapter 15

They don't leave the cabin for days, not to meet the others anyway.

After giving Stiles some ice for his cheek, Lydia leads him to the couch and waits until he opens up about his night terrors. It takes him a while though, so Lydia sits against one of the couch's arms and Stiles sits beside her in the middle, to her right and very close to her, pulling her legs to rest on his lap. They sit in silence for a very long time but it feels simple, almost familiar, so neither minds the time it takes. Stiles waits until he can put in words how he feels about it and Lydia waits with him, eventually finding his free hand to hold in hers in reassurance.

When he does speak, his voice comes out weak, worn-out, and his eyes don't find Lydia's right away. He feels nervous, guilty that he's sharing this with her, the girl who lost both her best friend and boyfriend at his hands. And he knows it wasn't really him who did it, but he's sure that that nagging feeling is never gonna go away, so the first words to come out of his mouth since he got back to the cabin are to ask her if she's okay talking about it because they have never done it before. They had both somewhat suppressed their grief after everything went down, hiding their feelings behind closed doors to avoid further pain; they had been through so much already. Lydia slowly nods, taking the small bag of ice from his hands to be the one holding it, checking to see how his bruised cheek is faring.

Stiles talks unhurriedly as he explains how this past night had felt more terrifying for him not only because of how many times it happened, but also for what Lydia would say to him every time he had a nightmare within a nightmare. He also tells her about the other few times it had occurred in the past and how he and Scott eventually went to Deaton. He tells her that she might be able to help him figure out what to do about it.

He sees her flinch at the mention of the Nogitsune when he tells her how the dreams were back when he was possessed, and he's sure Lydia's breath quickened. For a second, he wants her to open up about it; he might have been the one possessed but Lydia had been the one kidnapped at Void's hands so he asks her. Lydia dismisses it, saying they can talk about it later - about everything really - and Stiles only knows she's not throwing him off because her mind is running incessantly to find something to help him sleep. She has that look in her eyes that usually tells him she's concentrated, and sure enough Lydia gets up from the couch in a quick movement and walks to the kitchen to search for something in some of the cupboards. Stiles tries telling her that they don't need to figure it out right at that moment but she's not even listening; of course they have.

Lydia suggests that Stiles goes upstairs and takes a long hot shower to relax while she'll briefly go meet Derek to ask him something, and that by the time Stiles is done showering she'll be back. Stiles' anxiety shows at her suggestion but dissipates slightly when Lydia smiles and kisses his cheek tenderly.

He complies and just like she said, Lydia is waiting in their bedroom when he gets out of the bathroom only wrapped in a towel. Lydia doesn't even seem fazed by the sight of him, focused as she is on the task at hand.

"Put on some boxers, no shirt though." She says nonchalantly, leaving her spot on the bed to close the curtains on all the bedroom windows, the only clarity entering the bedroom coming from the bathroom.

Stiles does as he's told. After running his hands through his mess of wet hair, Stiles turns to Lydia, who's patiently waiting for him.

"Derek got me these." She shows him a few leaves she has on the desk, next to a cup with warm liquid. "They're supposed to help you sleep. I made you tea." Lydia murmurs with a smile. "I thought we could sleep in until lunch. It's still early and you haven't slept properly. Maybe you can get some rest."