Chapter 3

The last few weeks had proved to have strengthened the pack. The younger ones were welcomed with open arms as they figured how to blend in with the rest of the pack. Along with Liam and Mason came Brett and Grace, both werewolves. Brett because he believed Scott would be a good Alpha to follow (and a little bit because of Mason, not that he would admit it just yet) and Grace because of Brett. She had known him for years and he'd always been like her big brother, so wherever he goes she follows right behind.

Grace is so beautiful that Lydia wants to die at the cuteness. She's two years younger like the boys, and she's blonde, her wavy hair just a little shorter than Lydia's, and small but very spry. She's fierce, so of course Lydia likes her. On the other hand she's very, very naive, something that Lydia can't say she was at her age, and she has no family but Brett. That's why Lydia sort of takes her under her wing, looking out for her.

And Mason is a good kid. Lydia likes him. It's not like he had that much time to wrap his mind around all things supernatural when he went to check on her a few weeks ago at the school and ended up fighting a berserker, but still he stood beside her. And he's smart and a very good influence on Liam, who is a little cocky for her taste. Much like Jackson, she knows. Still with a far better character, that's for sure.

Despite the age gap between both generations of the pack, they all fit together. They all have something to teach and something to learn, and that's why they are all spending so much time at the loft. Not only Derek has a lot of books and maps to help them with research, it is still the larger place for everyone to hang out and meet.

Lydia arrives at the loft right on time. Derek's car is not parked outside, so she figures he must be running late. She lets herself in, just like the rest of the pack always does; his door is always open. When she enters, she finds Mason and Stiles sprawled on the couch playing video games.

Perfect, she thinks in disdain.

She smiles as she waves hello and explains that she's just waiting for Derek, who should be home soon. Mason smiles back and Stiles waves at her distractedly. Lydia was already feeling uneasy, so she excuses herself to go to the bathroom.

While in there, Lydia locks herself in and checks herself in the mirror. Even after her breakdown with Scott last night, she managed to pull herself together in the morning. She's Lydia Martin, she can't afford to look bad so she opted for a simple black skirt and a white top, a red cardigan and black heels. Her hair is half up, half down, her curls falling to her right over her shoulder. Her makeup has been getting smoother through the years, revealing her natural beauty. She's just wearing a mild shade of red lipstick and mascara to highlight her eyes.

Deep down she knows that it's how Stiles likes her better, not that he notices anymore. Yet, Lydia's grown to like herself more like that too.

He's not yours, he's not yours, she mumbles in her head.

Supporting herself with both hands on the sink, she closes her eyes and zones out for a bit. It has become her mantra lately, to constantly remind herself that she can't have someone who's already taken. Even if he wasn't, how could she be so selfish as to have him when he had years ahead of her of pinning over someone who didn't even know he existed?

Lydia focuses on her breathing, relaxing as soon as she hears someone screaming at the boys because his living room is a mess. Thank God, Derek's here. She opens her eyes, checks herself on the mirror one more time and leaves the bathroom.

"You're late," she says to Derek flatly, a small smile on her lips.

"I'm sorry. Traffic. Scott and Kira will be here in a few minutes. I'll need Scott, so maybe you and Kira could have lunch together?" He asks.