Chapter 13

Lydia doesn't chase him.

She knows that there's something going on and, deep down, Lydia trusts Stiles to do the right thing. Or at least it's what she assumes he's doing; he wouldn't leave her unless there was sufficient reason for him to do so. Still, it hurts and Lydia allows herself to cry silently.

Room tidied and a change of clothes later, Lydia sits on the bed with her legs crossed under her and spreads several sheets of paper around her on the mattress: Allison's letters. Like always, she displays them chronologically, like it helps her remember how things went ever since Lydia and her best friend parted ways, a story that the banshee needs to see told from her own perspective as to not lose focus on what's important. There also might be a faint hope that, if for some higher reason, she got her best friend back, Lydia could just show her the letters to make sure that Allison wouldn't miss a thing.

On those pages lie in words everything that Lydia has ever felt insecure about or afraid of. It's her own way to voice her reality; strangely, spoken words don't feel strong enough. Aside from herself, she tells Allison as much about Stiles as she does about Scott. Wherever the brunette is, Lydia knows she'd appreciate the gesture. It doesn't take her much effort anyway; Scott is like a brother to her these days and Lydia relies on him like she never thought she would. Scott's helped her be a part of something meaningful and it's more than Lydia could have ever expected or be grateful for. She also tells Allison about the rest of the pack but more in passing. For some reason, Lydia finds herself often thinking just about the four of them, how things would have been so much different with them if life hadn't happened the way it did.

Forty minutes after Lydia was left alone, someone knocks at her cabin's door. Even though Lydia didn't say a word, Kira knows that the redhead is inside and let's herself in, followed by Derek. They find her upstairs, a notebook on her lap as she writes to her late best friend, putting her thoughts into words.

"Hey. I'm sorry we didn't come sooner, we weren't sure you'd want company. Is everything okay?" Kira asks, sitting on the edge of the bed. Derek stands beside her. "Stiles took off with Scott in a rush."

Derek looks at Lydia pointedly, concern evident in his eyes. "What happened?"

Lydia looks up at her friends, genuine confusion all over her features. "I don't know. I- He just... I don't know."

"Why don't you come with us for breakfast? Maybe we can talk about it?" Kira suggests.

Lydia shakes her head. "No, I- Can you guys just stay for a minute?"

"Sure." Derek moves to sit on the other side of Kira as they wait.

If Lydia trusts someone besides Stiles and Scott, it's Derek and Kira. She puts her notebook aside and gathers all the letters. Allison can wait a little for the not so good news. "We hmm... Last night, we..." Lydia exhales shakily, hands fidgeting on her lap. "Well, me and Stiles, we followed your advice and..."

"Oh my god, did you two...?" Kira asks, stunned.

"No, not... We just... Relieved some tension, you know? And it was going fine until I blurted out that I love him while we were doing it." Lydia purses her lips as the duo looks back at her speechless, her cheeks turning bright red. "And I don't know. It didn't seem like he believed me at first but after that, before we went to sleep, I actually thought he got it. Now I'm not so sure."

"What happened?"

"I don't know. When I woke up he was already dressed and ready to leave." Lydia pauses, frustrated. "He looked scared. I don't understand."

Kira takes her hand. "Hey, maybe he's just panicking, you know? He's Stiles."

Derek smiles at Lydia, trying to comfort her. "If there's someone who wouldn't leave you, ever, it's him. Maybe something happened and Kira's right, he's panicking. Let's face it, he's Stiles. If someone is bound to startle about something and freak out about it, it's definitely him."

Lydia chuckles. "Let's hope you're right..." She wipes away a stray tear, smiling. "Because I said it. I love him."

"It was about time. I'm so happy for you two. I mean, not that you're not happy. But that you guys are on the same page. Sort of. Ugh, you two are exhausting. This whole camping trip was a set up." Kira confesses, giggling excitedly.

"Really? Hadn't noticed." Lydia remarks sarcastically.

"It's been a long time coming, but you two were driving everyone insane. We had to do something about it." Derek adds. "We just didn't want you guys to fight anymore. I'm sorry if it's not going exactly according to plan."

Lydia shrugs her shoulders. "It's okay, it's not like it's your fault. We just don't seem to get it right and I can't figure out why."

"It's a lot to take in, you know, for him. He's been through a lot." Kira offers in comfort. She smiles reassuringly at the banshee. "Everything will be fine, you'll see."

xxxxxxxxxx

"Stiles, I think we're far enough."

Stiles made them run there. They are on the other side of the property and just walked into one of the clearings. Scott takes his place beside Stiles, who just sat down on top of one of the rocks, both his hands running nervously through his hair.

"Now, will you tell me what's going on? You're worrying me."

Stiles gasps for air like he can't breathe, taking a few seconds to recompose. Scott waits until his best friend is ready to talk. "Scott, I need you to punch me."

"What? What are you talking about?"

"I'm getting tired of this, Scott. It's the fourth time that I've told you this today. Just do it."

"What do you mean, fourth time? It's the first I've seen you today, Stiles." Scott exclaims, confused.

Stiles looks back at his best friend like he's completely lost and Scott is his only hope, first surprised at Scott's words, then accepting the realization that dawned on him. "Scott, I- I'm not sure if I'm awake."