Chapter 22 - Sacrifice

Yvonne stood outside, watching as the boy called to Leah with some desperate plea to tell him what was going on. His limbs strapped to the bed as if he were still infected - an animal waiting to be put down. She felt disgusted by even looking at the sight of her specimen being treated in such a way, after specifically wishing that he not be damaged. Even she didn't quite understand what was between them and she didn't care. They were just kids, after all, and the woman wasn't entirely comfortable with what was unfolding between them. When the Viceroy appeared following Leah, he had a sickening smile on his face. A grimace of victory as he allowed the guards to take her away to the court that was currently assembling.

She stopped him again, not angry. Not quite. "What're you doing, Viceroy?"

"Good evening to you too, Head."

"Stop with the bullshit. What're you up to? What're you doing to my subject?"

"I wasn't aware that I needed to answer to you. Last I checked, you were just the stuck up little nerd with criminals running in the family like a cancer."

She scowled. "You believe me a fool, Viceroy? 'Cause I can see that you're more interested in torturing this boy than seeing the research that has come from studying his-"

"Your tests will be soon completed, Head, don't worry. In time I'll approve the autopsy you wished for days ago in - oh - a few minutes?"

"I'm sorry?"

"Boss has approved the process. In fact the moment that she arrives down below, I believe that the boy will be long dead. Before the night's over, you shall have the brain tissue you require."

"No, we can't kill him! He's got so much more to offer, he needs to stay alive. I want to see how the mutations occur in a live host-"

"Can't? Or won't?"

"Don't be so stupid!"

"Am I? Or are your feelings clouding your judgement?"

"My judgement is clear. I'm just trying to use him to save us from the infection so we can rebuild society again."

"So you can be rewarded?"

"The rewards outweigh the risks, Viceroy, you well know that!"

He chuckled. "And I know you too well, Head, to know that the only thing you care about is whether your food is paid directly into your home."

"That-"

"Enough. I'm tired of these games. If you don't mind, I would like to have a quick moment with the subject before you put. Him. Down."

She could only harden her chin as her stare became iron.

"You will have the body, of course. But I only wish to give Leah an important lesson."

"Again with that girl! Why're you so obsessed with-"

"She is the only one worth having, the most important girl in the world. You know what power she has? You know what wealth she has?"

It was then that Yvonne saw something that she had feared for so long spark in the Viceroy's eyes. Such madness that she had seen with so many murders in the time before.

****

The Viceroy's eye's burned brighter - angrier as he entered the room, his eyes finding the blockade of his plans. Ryan who was on the bed. The boy who Leah had suddenly decided to care about, to speak to more than her good old friend the Viceroy. He was given more respect than he did, than he deserved.  He who brought her out of the gutter. Then there was this boy who was ugly and foolish and cruel to her. Who was ever so exposed.