Chapter 9 - Wilderness

The hole in the wall remained. Ryan had successfully moved away the large slab of metal that obstructed their pathway and Leah went through first, followed closely by him.

Together they entered the wilderness, hiding from the guards on top of the walls that Ryan already learned would shoot first and ask questions later. Hiding from them was easy enough in the maze of alleyways, but the dead were oddly quiet.

Which Ryan knew wasn't good.

"Right there's a couple of houses that I haven't checked up north."

"There's not much there - I went to them already a few months ago."

Leah gave him a look. "Okay so there's nothing essential, but what about picture frames? Dresses? Take any of that stuff, did you?"

He smiled a little. "You think I'd look good in a dress?"

She laughed. "Sure, Ryan. I'm sure you would look beautiful in one."

As suddenly as the humour came, it vanished. Both of them held weapons in one of their hands, using every sense they had to detect the dead that might come out of the shadows. Fighting against each other over the last days somehow gave them the chance to know the movements of the other. From instinct alone.

They compensated for their ally; keeping each sense awake and ready where the other wouldn't be. No more talking was needed. Just looks and small gestures got them through the first few open streets.

Still there was no dead to be seen.

An itch whispered at the back of his mind, making him all the more edgy. He didn't like this. He wasn't ready for going out again. But his doubts were pushed away - it was just the bite. The infection was making him restless, edgy and stupid, which might get them both killed.

Then how would he live with himself?

The city was long behind them when they reached the northern wilderness, houses long abandoned, covered with dust and forgotten times. Apartments stacked up against each other like mismatched bricks from a broken Lego set.

Usually this place had too many of the dead to count at once, but this day it was empty. Abandoned. Leah and Ryan were hiding behind walls and garbage disposals, but they quickly realised there was no need. Stepping out onto the road they surveyed the utter stillness and incomplete emptiness.

"Where did they go?" Leah still held her pistol in both hands, her forehead furrowed in puzzlement.

"Dunno." Ryan didn't let his guard down. Not for a moment.

A newspaper flew across their path, gathered by the ominous wind to dance eagerly in their direction. They were entirely still, listening for the familiar grunts and groans of brainless deadmen. They were much more afraid when none were heard.

"Come on," He whispered. 

The first immediate house they entered seemed quiet. All windows and the door was broken through. A cold draft blew through it like a silenced scream. Leah shivered in it. The flowered wallpaper was chipped and faded, forgotten lights swinging and squeaking on the ceiling. A distinct corpse smell crept into their noses, reawakening the raw fear they felt of them. Of the dead.

"I don't like this."

Ryan looked up to the lights, to the second floor. "D'you think there's stuff up there?"

"There's something wrong, Ryan."

"I know. I think we should look around, though."

Leah sighed, looking up at the light. Waiting for some miracle excuse to make sure that they didn't need to go up there. But none came, so while her back was turned towards the stair, she climbed them. Glancing around for any movement.