Chapter 20 - Sands of History

Ryan wasn't in pain, it was more like a numb sensation more than anything else. They hadn't, after all, done anything that bad. Just a little blood and a few hairs off his back - but that didn't mean that he liked it. He would try to fight them if he could, giving them only the blood that would've come out his mouth if somebody got a lucky hit. It hadn't come to that, and instead he was treated like some rag doll to be examined and jabbed with sharp needles and long dripping cables.

It was the greatest flurry of joy and relief when Leah opened the door for the second time. And Ryan looked up, beaming brightly when he saw that she was okay. She smiled back at him, happy that, for once, there wouldn't be some barrage of doctors trying to interrupt them. Leah held in one hand a tiny handkerchief holding something that was in it; golden brown and smelling fantastic, she revealed the bread. Ryan's mouth watering and stomach growling at the heavenly sight.

"Mornin' sleepyhead. Bought you some breakfast."

"Where... how could you get this?"

She shrugged. "They gave me way to much, I didn't want to eat it. And besides, it feels weird to eat alone."

She handed him a roll from where he sat up, resisting the urge to snatch it from her hands and wolf it down in one. He took a deep breath of the smell of fresh bread that came from the small golden circle.

"I can't remember the last time I had bread..."

Leah held her own in both hands. Just looking at it with sceptical amazement. "Neither can I."

"Together?"

She nodded, doing a quick countdown before they both broke their teeth through the hard crust, sinking into the soft, yeasty flavour below. After so long being used to tins and cans and dehydrated meals long forgotten, what Ryan ate was more delicious and exquisite than anything in the world. It felt so warm on his tongue that he didn't know whether he could take having the last mouthful. And after that, they were both so quiet, enjoying the taste of bread soaking their mouths in oozing pleasure.

Leah and Ryan finished the best breakfast of their life with a grin to each other. Still smelling and tasting the gorgeous flavours on their tongues. They wished that it would never end.

"Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, yeah."

"They didn't hurt you? Or tie you up or anything?"

"No. They just put me back in the tower and told me I couldn't see you, I couldn't get past them or trick them or anything. They've gotten better than I remember."

"They're not... hurting you, then?"

She shook her head, then sighed. "Not yet."

"Don't say that."

"He will, though. He'll hurt me to make me do what he wants."

"I won't let them."

"In your state you can barely stand."

"I'm getting stronger."

"So are they. And I don't know whether-" she stopped herself mid-sentence, closing herself up again.

"Whether what?"

She closed her eyes, not wanting to see his reaction to her words. "Whether it was... a good idea. To save you."

Ryan stopped for a second. Remembering the promise she'd made him in the apartment, holding the gun in her hands and swearing to him what she would do for him. "I think... I think I would've done the same."