Chapter One (Edited)

Start from the beginning

Pebblepaw looked up at his mentor with a pair of furious, green orbs. "But I'm so sleepy!" the apprentice protested. "And plus, Stonepaw kept me awake for half the night because of his snoring!" the gray tom glared at his dark gray brother accusingly.

Sedgefoot padded outside, his green eyes bright and clear. "I'm ready." he told Thrushwing, who nodded back at him. The dark brown tom flicked an ear as he lifted his white paw, drawing his tongue over it. 

 Firestorm fixed her gaze on a pale gray tom and a dark, cream-red she-cat sleeping side-by-side. 

 "Stormyheart! Rosetail! Would you care for a hunting patrol?" Firestorm padded over and nosed the two cats.

 Stormyheart half opened an eye. "Alright." he mumbled as he quickly stretched, his white chest heaving a few times.

 "Why so early?" her sister, Rosetail moaned as she swipe a paw over her ear. 

"Mistystar says so, Rosetail." Firestorm meowed to her. 

 Her sister just grumbled in response and stood up. "Let's just get on with it." Rosetail padded out of the warriors' den. 

 "Wait up," Firestorm called after her sister. "I need to sort the rest of the patrols!" 

 Rosetail looked behind her shoulder, her dark green eyes sparkled with curiosity. "Isn't Reedwhisker supposed to do that? Or Thrushwing? They are, after all, the deputy and lead warrior."

Firestorm flushed, staring at her paws. "Mistystar told me so." she mumbled. ".. and she even told me to meet her in her den after I go on a patrol."

 Rosetail turned to her sister. "Maybe you will be the next deputy!" she whispered, her eyes widening and glittering with excitement. 

 Firestorm shook her head dejectedly. "I can't, Thrushwing is the lead warrior!" she meowed, sighing. She scrapped her claws on the snow and whipped her tail in frustration.

Rosetail shrugged. "You'll be the deputy one day. I know it. I can feel it." 

 Stormyheart nuzzled his two daughters, purring. "I've just told Thrushwing to sort the patrols. So lead the way, Firestorm!"

 Firestorm touched her nose to her father's shoulder and purred affectionally before padding towards the camp entrance. "We should hunt at the Misty Rock." she decided after a few moments of silence.

 Rosetail fluffed her dark creamy red fur. She stopped in her tracks and turned to face her. "The Misty Rock? Why?"

Stormyheart flicked his ear and paused in his walking, but he didn't turn around. "Misty Rock is the only area rabbits and squirrels go everyday to feast whenever leaf-bare comes. Grass grows better in the mist, so it leads prey there to feast. With more grass, the more rabbits, squirrels, and worms. The more worms, the more birds we'll catch! While we're there, we will catch plenty of prey!"

Stormyheart then continued to walk to the direction of the Misty Rock. Firestorm fell behind to pad beside her sister. Rosetail tagged along, not caring much. Each cat enjoyed the company of their small patrol.

Finally, they reached their hunting spot of the day. The scenery was cloudy and Firestorm could barely see her nose in front of her. Firestorm tasted the air but all she could taste is the mist. She crouched down and waited for a vibration of any sort of prey. Rosetail and Stormyheart did the same and the three warriors waited patiently.

A few seconds later, little vibrations could be felt from a few fox-lengths away. Firestorm quietly sniffed the air. She caught the scent of a thrush between the scent of mist. Firestorm waited until the vibration stopped. The vibration suddenly felt closer—the bird must be hopping around, in search of food. She could hear the thrush pecking on the ground softly, searching for worms, not realising it was being stalked. Now!

Firestorm leaped up, paws outstretched, claws unsheathed. The thrush looked up and tried to fly away, flapping its wings furiously, fluffing up a cloud of mist under them. But it was too late. Firestorm brought the thrush down with her paws and finished it with a swift, neat killing bite. 

 "Good job!" Stormyheart praised his daughter in a whisper, his green eyes glowing with pride in the mist.

 Rosetail nodded to her sister. "Nice catch." she murmured. She flattened herself on the ground even more.