Chapter 14

Ethan

"... And I don't know if I'm ever going to wake up one morning without my heart breaking."

Her words hit me hard. I honestly don't know what else to do to ease Andi's pain. I don't want to let her go. I strongly believe that she just needs time to see that I meant every word I said. But I don't know just how long I can last seeing how much I'm hurting her.

It's killing me inside.

I opened my mouth to say something, but Faith called out to me as she came running into the kitchen.

"Daddy!"

I put on a smile and turn towards her, while Andi turned her back toward us to give her a few moments to pull herself together.

"Hi my little princess," I said as I picked her up in my arms.

"You're here," she exclaimed happily.

"I said I would be," I responded with a smile. "Come on, why don't you say hi to mommy."

"Hi, mommy," she said as she squirmed to get down.

"Hi sweet face," Andi said and gave her a hug and a kiss.

Faith turned back to me and reached for my hand.

"Come on daddy, I want to show you my room, and then my horse. Can you get me a puppy? I love puppies. Please?" She said all in one breath as she batted her eyelashes at me.

I chuckled.

"Sweet face, we talked about this," Andi warned.

Faith scrunched her nose and pouted. "But I really want a puppy!"

"We'll see baby," Andi said as she looked at me, daring me to say otherwise.

"That means no," Faith muttered.

Andi chuckled as she shook her head.

"It's not a no, sweet face. You'll just have to be patient," she said.

"But it's taking forever," Faith complained.

"It seems to be taking forever because you're being an impatient little miss," Andi said as she tapped her dainty nose playfully.

"Now why don't we turn that frown, upside down sweet face, and you can show daddy your room," Andi suggested.

I smiled at the banter between Andi and our daughter. Faith is so much like her mom. She inherited Andi's stubbornness, and the way she scrunched her nose when she doesn't agree or doesn't like something.

"Are you coming daddy?" Faith tugged at my hand.

I nodded with a smile.

"You guys go ahead. I'll call you when breakfast is ready. Be good young lady!" Andi called out.

"I will mommy!" Faith called back.

Faith sprinted up the stairs as in tugged behind her.

"Woah, slow down there speedy," I teased.