Chapter Twelve

Lyric's POV

What's going on? Where could that little boy be? It was the one that had got saved on our first night. I cough. The smoke is so thick. It's kind of hard to breath. Then I faintly hear it. "HELP!" He is right beside me, under a table. "Help me. Somebody!"

A figure grabs ahold of me, and another grabs the little boy.  A matter of minutes later, we are coming through the front door. Water spews over us from the hose on the fire truck and fire fighters are rushing around everywhere.

I look at the little boy. "Miss Sus!" He calls out.

"Uncle Jake. Thanks for helping me rescue them." Susanna leans against the man we all call uncle. "I couldn't have done it alone."

After things calm down, I'm sitting on the sidewalk with Susanna. Silence surrounds us. "Why did you leave? Without telling us?"

Susanna studies her hands. "Lots of things have been going on lately. I haven't told anyone. I was hurting. I guess... I thought running was the best way out."

"Why? Everyone here loves you. Especially Joey." I wiggle my eyebrows.

"Seriously? Did every one know but us?" She looks at me wide eyed.

"Um.. yeah. Yeah pretty much." I nod, how did they not know? I mean, come on folks.

She sighs. "Here read this. It'll explain things, I'm going to go check on things with the fire chief." She stands to her feet after handing up a crumbled piece of paper then walks away.

I read it and my jaw drops. As weird as it may sound, I even sniffed the paper. It almost... yeah... it almost smells sweet. I let the words sink in. So Susanna was going to leave to protect all of us. Wow.

Susanna comes back at that moment. "I see you read it. Anyways I've got a couple bits of news. One I'm going to stay in Nashville."

"Yay!" I hug her tightly. "I'm so happy."

Before I can continue my happy dance, she holds up a finger. "Two, we are going to have to find somewhere to stay for a while." She looks around, "I don't know where yet but we'll figure it out."

I nod, not great but everyone's alive. So that's what matters.

"And lastly." She takes a breath, long and slow. "If I stay.... I'm going to break up with Joey."

Boom! Well that was a bombshell on my life. Along with everything else that's been happening today. God help us. We are really going to be need it to get through these trials ahead.