Chapter Five

Susanna's POV

"Sus! I have a great date idea!" Joey says from the other end of the phone, nearly busting my ear drum he is so loud.

I laugh. "What?"

"It's a surprise. Meet me outside." I can imagine him bouncing in his car as he says this.

"When?" I ask, shaking my head at his antics.

"Now. I'm outside waiting on her royal slowness." Joey laughs.

I peek out the window. "I'll be right down." I check my clothes, only making some minor adjustments and dash down the flights of stairs and come up to the car. "Ready."

"Get in then, pretty lady." Joey says, and we are both blushing and silent for the next several moments.

We drive to the park and he grabs my hand and we start walking. "Okay, Mr. Mystery. What's the surprise?"

Before Joey can come back with a cheeky response, we hear feedback from a microphone behind a grove of trees. "IT'S STARTING!" Joey yells, and he pulls me into a run as we run across the grass towards a make shift stage with a banner.

"Joey?" I give him a look.

"Karaoke duet, with my best girl!" He gives me a grin and I feel weak and melty all over.

The next thing I know, Joey is signing us both up for a duet. He won't tell me what song it is. And before too long they are calling our names. Several girls in the crowd squeal, and call out Joey's name. I even hear a few people say my name too. Cameras and phones are aimed at us taking photos and videos, as the music starts.

I try to hold back the tears as "God Gave Me You" starts playing, we sing and suddenly everything disappears. It's just me and Joey and God, together. This a beautiful moment, when I feel like we are really bearing our hearts to each other.

Then all too soon, it's over. Although it takes Joey and I a few seconds to realize that the music has stopped. We stare at each other till the judge clears his throat and we make our way hand in hand to the seats below the stage. We end up taking home the win and the trophy. A $25 gift card for none other than Chick-Fil-A.

This has been an awesome date with the man that I love. Wait? What did I just think?!?