Chapter Ten - "Say Something"

Susanna's POV

I'm home alone. Is that a good thing or bad? Guess it all depends on how you look at it.

I still haven't decided what to do yet. It's actually got to the point where I decided to make fake social media accounts that way I could still talk to my friends.

And as stupid as it may sound... right now I'm going through Joey's social media sites and crying like a baby.

I stare at a recent photo, his eyes feel like they are locked on mine. I raise a finger to the screen where his face is and slowly wipe my eyes. "I love you, Joey Stamper. But I don't want anyone hurt. Especially you."

I close the laptop lid, shoving the thoughts away. I can't live like this. I'm forgetting this, at least for tonight. I make my way to the kitchen to make myself a snack.

There's a knock at the door. Please God ... don't let that be my hater.

I go over to the door, an umbrella in one hand ready for a fight.

Joey's POV

So, it's totally spontaneous of me, but Susanna and I are having a date night tonight. Even she doesn't know it yet. I tuck her favorite movie under my leather jacket and knock on the apartment door.

Susanna opens the door, an umbrella in one hand and a hard stare on her face. Her big beautiful blue eyes grow wide and she chokes out my name. "J...Joey? What are you doing here?"

"Date night with my girl." I smile, and wrap her in a hug. At first she is stiff, then she ends up wrapping her arms around me, giving into the hug.

"Did I forget plans?" She runs a hand through her hair, making it messy but still beautiful. Cause it's her. Man, this love thing really gets you doesn't it?

"Nope. This is totally on the fly. I brought pizza and a movie." I smile.

"So what did you bring? Avengers? Marvel?" She shakes her head laughing. "Okay I know pretty much zip about those sort of things, just tell me."

I laugh, "Actually I brought this."

"Joey?" She picks the movie up, "Did you bring the right movie? Cause I mean... this is Pride and Prejudice? A chick flick!"

"Yep, the Keira Knightley version. Your favorite. That's why I brought it. This is all for you." I tap her nose and she awards me with a brilliant smile.

As we are sitting there watching the movie, Susanna is fully into it. She's leaned forward on the couch a dreamy smile on her face. Not for the first time since I met her a now familiar feeling wells up inside of me. It's been happening even more lately. I have to tell her. She just has to know.

As the movie scrolls through the credits I reach out and take her hand. "Let's go for a walk." My voice comes out embarrassingly hoarse. I hope I can do this.

"Sure." She agrees and we walk to the park where we had our first heart to heart. It seems so long ago now, when in reality it's only been about two years. I sit down on the same bench, and I just can't find the right words to say.

"Joey? Are you okay?" Susanna's voice fills with worry, she laces her hand with mine.

"It's fine. I just... I have something to tell you." I try to swallow past the lump in my throat that refuses to go.

"Joey. You're scaring me. Please say something." Her hands are wrapped around my arm and her bright blue eyes are filled with tears. "This is killing me, just say something."

"Susanna Stephens.... I'm in love with you! Madly. Deeply!" I finally manage to pour the words out to her and they just keep rolling.

Her eyes hold a mixture of emotions as she stands. What have I done?

Susanna's POV

The tears flow down my face like a waterfall. No words come. Now matter how hard I try the stubborn lump in my throat won't move. Why did he have to say those words? Now of all times.

The word "love" tears through my heart like a dagger and fear overtakes me. I can't do this. I turn around to see Joey looking at me. His eyes are brimming with tears. The pain there etched on his face is because of me. Stupid me.

"Did I say something wrong?" The tears start down his face and the pain coursing through me that I am the one that caused them is more pain that I can take. He whispers, "Is it ... too soon? Do you not..." He can't finish the words. More tears stream from those blue eyes. He shakes his head and buries his face in his hands.

"I... I... I ... have... to ... go." I say too loudly through my sobs. Then I run. And I don't stop until I'm back at the apartment and every door is locked tight behind me, I fling myself on my bed.

It's not that I don't like what Joey said. The truth is I'm madly in love with Joey Stamper. And the truth is that scares me to death.

What if I'm not the right girl for him?

I have to leave.

I can't do this to him anymore.

I love him too much.

Why God, why, did I pressure him to say something?