Chapter Two

Joey's POV

I made my way over to Caleb. "You let them win, didn't you bro?"

"I'll never tell!" Caleb protested looking intently at the grass. I laughed, and he looked at me. "I was still first of the guys though." He points out. He lowered his voice to a barely audible whisper, "I mean AJ is little. Today's Lyric's birthday. And Susanna's...well Susanna."

"Don't let Sus, hear you say that, she won't like that you went easy on her." I laughed, fully well knowing my girlfriend could be the competitive sort.

Before we can discuss his loss in our pig race any longer, Susanna rushes up. "Guys, we forgot the birthday cake for Lyric!" She whisper-shouts.

"We?" Caleb gives her a look.

"Okay. So it was me." Susanna shrugs. "Would you guys go get it? Please, they called it in the other day at the Baker Bakery." She gives me a pouty face, man this girl has a way of getting to me. And GOOD! Then she starts batting her eyelashes above those grey blue eyes of hers and I'm done.

"Fine. I'll be back." I say, tapping her on the nose before I leave. I make my way towards the parking lot.

"Can I GO?" Caleb shouts running after me. He does the pout thing like he did in that Instagram video where he begged to ride the motorcycle with me. Can I just say that was super awkward? Cause boy was it ever.

"Fine, but before you ask I didn't bring my motorcycle and you can't drive my car." I say trying to beat him to the draw.

Caleb shrugs, knowing it wouldn't be worth his time.

We make our way a few blocks away in my car, which doesn't take very long and pull up in front of a red brick building with a sign that reads, "Baker's Bakery: Where Life is a Sweet Treat!" We walked inside of the bakery doors and were greeted by lots of bright sunshine yellow and very pink pinkness.

"It looks like pink lemonade." Caleb coughs out.

I hold back my laugh as a woman makes her way out of the back, where the kitchen is. "Why hello there. Welcome to Baker's Bakery. I'm Tess Baker. What can I help you with?" She bats her eyelashes, from underneath her white chef's hat.

"Caleb. Why don't you go." I say shoving Caleb forward. "Were here to pick up a birthday cake for Lyric Amelia Rose. "

"You don't look like a Susanna Stephens. That's who was supposed to pick it up." Tess laughs as she speaks with her southern drawl.

"Ha. No.  Susanna had us come get the cake." Caleb states.

"Oh your picking it up, since your wife couldn't." Tess says glancing at Caleb's left hand ring finger. She disappears into the kitchen and comes back carrying a large sheet cake box. "Here ya go. It was paid for online so your good to go." She bats her eyelashes at me. Again. I feel uncomfortable.

"To set the facts straight, Susanna is not my wife. My wife's names is Kelsey. Susanna is Joey's girlfriend." Caleb says handing me the cake as we make our way towards the door again.

"Oh... I see. Well y'all have a nice day anyhow." Tess says again. After Caleb turns his back again, Tess blows me a kiss.

"Walk faster, Caleb! Walk faster!!!!" I'm literally about ready to shove this cake in Caleb's back and run. We get in the car and I get back to where we are having Lyric's party faster that I would have thought possible.

"Are you practicing for Mario Kart, Joe?" Caleb gives me a funny look.

"No. I just don't want the cake to melt." I say. Maybe all of that back there was just in my head. Sure, that must be it.

Thankfully the party is back under way immediately and I forget all about the awkward bakery situation. I spent the rest of the day, just hanging with family, friends, and my love, Susanna. Wait? Did I just think that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author's Note:

You guys can see what Tess looks like in this chapter's picture.

P.S. - I'm writing weirdly today with lots of not so nice characters. Oh well, spice things up a little, I guess. :P