Dinner

Dinner

"So James," Autumn's dad says gruffly, "You got a part-time job?" James shakes his head, not meeting his eyes. Rather, he kept his eyes staring at the food on his plate. Autumn's dad laughs.

"Neither does Autumn. Birds of a feather flock together. Or something like that..." he says and Autumn rolls her eyes. She digs her spoon into the mashed potatoes and accidentally hits James' elbow in the process.

"Sorry." she says with her mouth full of potatoes. He smiles and shrugs his shoulders. Emily, who was sitting next to James says, "It's not polite so talk with food in your mouth." Autumn sticks her tongue out at her sister and rolls her eyes.

"So anyway," their mother presses on, "What are your parents doing out of town?"

"Oh, my dad had a business meeting to go up to. My mother likes to come along with him because she misses him a lot when he's gone. It's fine though," James says, shrugging his shoulders, "I don't mind being alone for the weekend."

"Well you know, our house is always open if your parents are out of town. We miss having you around." she says and James turns a light shade of pink at these words.

"Well, not all the time." Autumn's dad interjects, "I mean, as long as we're home, sure." he says, waving his finger between himself and his wife. Autumn's ears go red with embarrassment.

"Daaaaad." she groans.

"Just making that clear." he says, grinning. "Honestly, I like you James. You were a good kid when you were younger. You still seem to be one now." Autumn shifts uncomfortably in her chair. Didn't her parents know James didn't remember her? He didn't remember her parents?

"Thank you Mr. Ferrell." James says smiling slightly.

"Yeah! I always thought you were a good kid too!" Emily pipes up. Autumn rolls her eyes and pokes Emily in the side.

"You were only one when he lived here, dummie."

"Well I was alive, wasn't I? I still remember."

"No you don't."

"Yes I do!" Emily repeats stubbornly.

"There's no way you can remember. People don't remember things at that age."

"Well I do! I remember this one time when Mom was changing my diaper - "

"Girls!" Autumn's mom interrupts and Autumn and Emily stop their bickering. Autumn suddenly feels embarrassed and turns to look at James. He was concentrating on his chicken leg, red in the face from trying to hold in his laughter.

"Now let's behave in front of our guest. This is dinner. You can argue when we're watching a movie and we have popcorn at the ready." Autumn's dad says seriously and James snorts with a mouth full of mashed potatoes. He begins to gasp and sputter. Emily pounds him on the back.

"Emily stop!" Autumn whines. James gently pushes her arm away and takes a huge gulp of milk. He was no longer red from lack of air, but was still red with embarrassment.

"Sorry. I thought that was funny." he says timidly. Autumn's dad begins laughing and leans over the table to pat him on the back. James looks up at him, grinning.

"I like this kid. You're about the only one who laughs at my jokes anymore. My wife is just darned sick of 'em and my girls are too cool for them now I suppose." James gives him another smile and all the rest of them groan.

"How do you know he wasn't just laughing because he pities you and your lame humor?" Autumn's mom says, playfully.

"Phssst, no way. I'm hilarious."

"You just keep thinking that." she says as she gets up and begins taking everyone's empty plates away. They all watch her lazily, with full stomachs.

"That was really good, Mrs. Ferrell." James says to her as she starts filling up the sink with hot, soapy water.

"Well thank you. Daniel, you could learn a thing are two from this young man." Autumn's dad grins.

"And how do you know he's not just saying that because he feels bad for you? What if your cooking is awful and he's just too polite?" he says. Autumn's mom takes the rag that was in her hand and whips her husband in the shoulder. She laughs and his pretends to grimace and rubs his shoulder.

"Do you see this? This goes on every day. This women is vicious." James laughs and Autumn's dad looks appalled.

"You think I'm kidding! This women is a madman!"

"Oh you shush," Autumn's mom says, with her hands deep in dishwater. "So when do your parents get home, James?"

"It should either be tonight or in the morning. Probably tonight, though. In fact...I still need to clean." he says, suddenly looking worried.

"Maybe Autumn could help you!" he moms says cheerfully. Autumn gives her mom the death stare. James laughs dismissively.

"No, I wouldn't make Autumn help. It's pretty bad in there. I probably should get going though. Thanks a lot for dinner though, Mrs. Ferrell. It was delicious." Autumn's mom nods his head and stands up from the table.

"Once again, thanks so much. I'll see you tomorrow, Autumn." James says, tilting his head to her. Autumn smiles and waves as he goes out the door.