Questions At Lab

Autumn happily snaps her saftey goggles on her head, not caring that she looked like a dork. All that mattered was that she got to be James' partner today, the day she found out that he and Lindsey were no longer an item. Autumn bends down and takes a peak at the intstruction sheet.

"Okay..." she begins, "We're supposed to turn on our Bunsen Burners to a low heat..." James complies without speaking a word to her. This doesn't faze Autumn though, it was only the beginning of the lab. She rereads through the instructions running her fingers down each one as she does so. She and James get to work; they were still silent but Autumn decided to break the silence as they heat up sulfer in a test tube.

"So...I heard you and Lindsey broke up?" Autumn tries asking innocently. However, both she and James know that Autumn was completely happy over their break-up.

"Yup."

"So...What happened?"

"Honestly, it's really none of your business." James says, looking her straight in the eyes.

"Oh..." Autumn's voice faulters as she turns her head away to hide her watery eyes.

"Things didn't work out; she's just an awful person." James provides at he takes the test tube out of the flames way. Once Autumn hears this confession she perks up again and lets curiosity take over her.

"So then why did you even get with her in the first place?"Autumn looks intensely at the face she once knew so well waiting for an answer. James opens his mouth, pauses, and closes it.

"Not important." James says. Autumn looks at him curiously and looks around the room for Lindsey. Autumn finds Lindsey a couple lab stations away from her, giving Autumn the evil eye. Autumn looks away.

"So I take it Lindsey took it pretty hard then?"

"Yeah, she did. I'm sure she'll be back on her feet in no time though." James says, rather emotionlessly.

"So..." Autumn starts off, trying to think of another question. James cuts her off though.

"Autumn, listen. I know you're really excited about this but it doesn't mean anything. I still don't want you. I can't hang out with you." James doesn't meet Autumn's eyes as he tells her this. Autumn doesn't want to take this as an answer.

"You can't hang out with me? What does that mean?" Autumn demands.

"I didn't mean that I can't, I just meant that -"

"Class is over in ten minutes!" interrupts Mrs. Hanson from the front of the room. "Get your last data written down and start cleaning up!" Autumn sighs and quickly begins swiping off the test tubes from the lab station and dumping soap in each of them. James wipes down their station with a wet paper towel while Autumn forcefully scrubs out the test tubes.

Autumn and James are the first group to be done cleaning so they return to their shared table while the rest of the class lagged behind. Autumn however was ignoring James. She was sick of him at the moment. Autumn just didn't understand why he refused even try to remember. With her body pointed away towards James she crossed her legs and waited impatiently for the bell to ring.