Chapter 25

The rising of birds in their flight is the sign of an ambuscade. Startled beasts indicate that a sudden attack is coming."
______

When I awoke, I looked down and saw that I was in a tree.

"I see you've woken," said a voice. I jumped, then looked behind myself. It was Tyler.

"Who was that squirrel shifter?"

"I don't know." replied Tyler "But he has a weapon. Look."

I spun around to see that same man from earlier. And he was aiming a gun at us. Oh crap.

"Please," I began, starting to tremble "Leave us alone. We've already been though enough crap these past few weeks!"

"Oh," he said in a tone that seemed to chill me to the bone "But why would I pass up a chance to make the head hunter pleased? And why don't you calm down, Madelyn? You never seemed to have a problem with my spying on you before?"

"What do you mean?"

"You've never seen me before?" He shifted into a squirrel, and in an instant, I recognized him. He was there the day I had become a shifter, and so many more times. Like when I was at the carnival with my parents, or when I had gone on a run with Trinity. I looked at Tyler.

"He's been spying on me all my life!" I exclaimed. "And I was oblivious to it! The entire time! Tyler put his hand on my shoulder.

"You don't know that, Madelyn," he said, trying to reassure me, most likely.

"But he has that strange little diamond shaped mark, and I've seen that mark before! This isn't a coincidence!"

Seconds later, he shot a glare at the squirrel shifter. A sickening laugh filled the air as he shifted back.

"Madelyn, call off your boyfriend." he commanded.

"He's not my boyfriend!" I retorted.

"Yeah, and the sun isn't shining."

"That's actually quite true if you're talking about it in a metaphorical sense."

"Shut up, project!" he shouted, and I was taken aback.

"What do you mean by project?"

"I've said too much. Just come with me," he said in an icy tone. Yeah, in what sane world would I come with a man who called me a project?

"No, no, no sir. You've captured my attention, and I'm not going to just forget about what you just said."

I felt Tyler place his hand on my shoulder. "Don't make the guy with access to guns angry."

He chuckled, then a smirk spread across his face. "Listen to your boyfriend, Madelyn."

I took a deep breath and said "For the last dang time, HE IS NOT MY BOYFRIEND!"

"Think what you think, but you're coming with me," He shifted back into a squirrel and scurried up the tree. Oh please, you don't have your gun anymore. And how was he going to hurt me as a squirrel?

"What are you gonna do?" asked Tyler "Nibble us to death? Yeah right."

He shifted back, and I heard something drag against the ground. And then, the gun was in his hand.

Oh crap. That guy had telekinesis. I had a sickening feeling in my stomach that this wasn't going to end well. I flew off the tree, soaring high into the air.

Turns out that his telekinesis could control things in the air. Do you know what it's like to plummet down with the feeling that you're going to die? Lemme just tell you right now that it's absolutely terrifying.

My wings were at my sides, and no mater how hard I tried, they wouldn't open. There was a resistance that was keeping me from opening them. The name of that resistance; telekinesis. Did it anger me? Yes. Was I terrified beyond belief? Even more so.

I was falling, falling, falling. I was going to die. I had thought that I was going to die before, but now, I really was. A sickening feeling crawled its way into my stomach, and I braced myself for the impact that would kill me.

The impact never came. I breathed heavily, not daring to open my eyes.

"Am I dead?" I asked.

"You can open your eyes, Madelyn," replied a voice, and I recognized it as Tyler's. "You're not dead."

"But you soon will be if you do not give in," said an icy voice; the one of the squirrel shifter. I opened my eyes slowly to see that I was in Tyler's arms. I blushed, embarrassed, before Tyler set me down.

"Be careful, Madelyn." warned the squirrel shifter "Your little boyfriend won't be around for long."

I sent a glare at him. "He's not my boyfriend! Why does everyone think that?"

I ran toward him, trying to send a kick at him. I ended up missing and the only thing I had acomplished was looking stupid. Stupid TV shows, making it look easy. An evil sounding laugh started at the squirrel shifter and moved though the forest.

"Stop laughing at me!" I demanded, anger and adrenaline moving through my veins.

"But how can I not laugh at one of Mr. Jones's projects?"

Now I knew who was in charge of the 'project'. And I knew where I'd be visiting when I went back to that hunter place. Thank you, you idiotic squirrel shifter.

"So Mr. Jones is in charge of a 'project'." I said, trying to sound like I was in control of the situation. Obviously I wasn't, but a bird shifter can try. "You gave me even more information. Thanks for that."

He ran towards me, and I hardly had time to react. Next thing I knew, he had pinned me against a tree.

"Let me go, you idiot!" I shouted angrily

"Never! You're far too valuable to give up!"

Now he's refering to me as an object?! That just fueled the flames of rage even more. I tried to pry his hands off of me, but with no success.

"Perhaps you'll be even more use to Mr. Jones dead," he suggested in an icy tone "He never said what condition he wanted you in."

He was about to shoot me when someone freed me. But it wasn't Tyler.

It was my dad.

A/N- Did you see that coming? Nope? I just did that. But are Madelyn's father's intentions good or evil?

Please comment, vote, and I'll see you next chapter! Bye for now!