Chapter 20*** 50 Pains

A/N: Hello, everyone! It’s been way to long! You’re all probably ready to kill me (don’t even try; my friends will beat you to it), but I’m glad to say, I’m back :) The school year is almost over, I’m busier than ever preparing for school events and finals, BUT… my head is also buzzing with ideas. I’m sure my writing style has changed a bit over this time too, and hopefully it has improved. As well as continuing with my hetalia fanfiction, I’ve also adopted a love of Soul Eater. And I have a few original stories in my mind too. The originals will probably take much longer to post though ;P I want to work on them more thoroughly.

Speaking of fanfics, this story has progressed a lot. It’s really unorganized since I pretty much wrote whatever came into my mind. I hope it hasn’t confused too many people. I’d like to give you all a chance to warm up to the newer chapters with a time skip. This means there will be a few flashbacks.  I’d like to begin just a year after where I left off in chapter 19… let the story begin >:)

“Who do you think you are, calling yourself a hero?”

______

Alfred F. Jones, better known as the United States of America sat alone in a dark room, his icy blue gaze glued to a glowing computer screen. It had been a year, exactly three hundred sixty-five days, since the day the second players came into existence. No…

America’s fingers flew across the keyboard, his eyebrows furrowing with deep concentration. Cool pools of sweat formed on his heated skin.

No… the second players had always existed, hadn’t they? In the darkest crevice in every country or state’s mind, the second player laid silently. They were a plague, a disease of the mind that survived only because their first player survived as well.

This is the balance between good and evil. Love and hate. Justice and crime. For years, America had kept his ill thoughts to himself. How could he have bared to look his states, his ‘ohana’ as Hawaii so gently put it, in the eyes and tell them he, their heroic leader, held darkness within him? The pain would have hollowed him from the inside. In truth, the past year had made him a grave man.

Quick flashes of ads and number flashed across the screen. America was close to the system’s core. He could feel it. It burned his brain and infuriated his heart, causing the small organ to quicken its beating. This was it. He was in.

In an instant, videos and documents filled the computer monitor, page after page layering on top of another. America’s lips twitched, though he couldn’t bring himself to smile. The once energetic country stood with the grace of an old man. His legs ached from hours behind a monitor, his back made a faint ‘crack’. It was amazing, America thought to himself, how a year could change one so much. It was time to open the blinds and breathe in fresh air after months of solitude.

Alfred F. Jones exited the dark room with a dark glint in his eyes, a laptop crammed under his arm. It was time to be the country he had fought to become. He was, after all, the United States of America.

________

“How have your studies been coming along, girl?”

The original Empire State, New York sat silently, her eyes dark with hatred. It was days like this that made her question her reality. In front of her at the small café table sat Francis Bonnefoy (we know him as 2p! France).

The older man was scowling, his lips trapping a cigarette in a deadly embrace. He watched the state with a bored expression. He knew she wanted to hurt him. He knew she wouldn’t dare. Somehow, this concept amused him, though he’d never show it.

This was how the year had gone by. New York’s memories of statehood were still lost. Time had treated her like it would any human. Her hair had grown long, moving past mid neck where it previously fell to her shoulders. Her once electric blue eyes were dull, no longer shining with ambition and love of life. She was a hollow shell cast into a foreign world. The only friend she had was a murderer and his group of misfits. She was forced to depend on Feliciano (2p! Veneziano) and his brother Lovino (2p! Romano).

Oddly enough, past the first two months, Jackie, as she was now regularly called, had not spoken to or seen the brothers. She knew they were around only because every week she would find a threatening letter telling her where to be and what to do. Someone would always be waiting for her, a substitute for the brothers. This week it was Francis. Last week, Arthur (2p! England)

Jackie mentally thanked life for Francis after recalling her time with Arthur. That crazed, bleach blonde, homicidal maniac sickened her. Yes, he was creepy, but her hatred of him went deeper than that. She didn’t know why she preferred rude Francis over ever-polite Arthur. Actually, thinking again, Arthur was without a doubt the worse of the two.

“Girl!” the roar of Francis’s voice snapped Jackie out of her thoughts. She grimaced. “Fine, thank you very much. Cut the crap, what do they want? I know Feliciano and Lovino sent you and I know they have some crazy errand they want me to run. What is it now? Picking up some strange metal box full of body parts? D you remember that? I remember that!” Francis’s hand shot out, covering Jackie’s mouth. He groaned. “Spare me the details.”

Jackie removed Francis’s hand from her lips and snorted. “Whatever.”

She watched as Francis rolled his eyes, reaching for a small envelope in his pocket. He handed it to her, immediately getting up and walking away. Jackie didn’t bother waiting to see where the Frenchman went. Better safe than sorry. Some things you are better off not knowing, right?

Scanning the letter briefly, Jackie lowered the sheet and sighed. “So they want to see me after all this time?” she murmured. Her gaze crawled up to the sky, where it remained. A strange fluttering disturbed her heart as she thought of the name of the place of meeting. A familiar sound? A familiar name…

Well… Jackie shrugged off the feeling. Off to Washington D.C

_________

“Georgia?”

“Yeah… It says Washington D.C, alright. That’s where New York will be.”

________

(A/N: And that’s the prelude for the next chapter/ chapter 20! I have one question, though… should I continue the story in this book or make another one to continue in? Regardless, there’s a new cover, too! I would love to hear your opinions! Thanks for waiting! If you have a state you want me to write into the story, please leave some info about said state and I'll try to incorporate it.)