❦ chapter one ❦

Flossy didn't have a reputation. okay maybe she was known to be a certain way in the hallways and people tend to perceive her in a way that could be correct, if they actually got to know her; but no one did that.

to others, Flossy was some chick who dressed weird like she was stuck in the eighties rock central with an endless angry expression painted on her features who just didn't care about anything. just one look at her and you'd want to run for the hills, and most did. she wasn't bothered by how people looked at her because she knew that their opinions didn't matter to her and didn't affect her life in any way, shape, or form. she had her own friends and that's all that was left on the subject.

bearing all of this in mind, others had expectations of her - even though she could not care less to follow them or not. so when she walked over to the quietest loser in their grade, all talking stopped, all eyes were glued, and all attention was on them.

"do you understand this?" she asked the boy sitting in the chair below her. he looked up at her and gave her a glare of both fear and shock, which was not the expression he hoped to give her.

he nodded up at her, his lips moving, and a murmur left his lips without any indication of what he meant. she raised her eyebrows at him and just stared down at him for a second but then realized that everyone was still watching so she exclaimed to the onlookers, "don't you have better things to do?! like actually doing the work!"

they bowed their heads in shame and started to talk to whoever they were with. Flossy figured they were talking about her but it never bothered her. instead of dwelling on it, she brought up a chair directly next to him.

"do you - erm, do you mind helping me with this?"

he nodded again but didn't look at her. she then realized that he couldn't say no because she sat next to him and that would be rude. Flossy figured he was the type to go along with people because they scared him. in that sense, he reminded her of her younger sister.

he started to explain the concept, his pencil moving to display the examples of his words. Flossy noticed his hands shake as he did so. she had a hard time paying attention with hands like that. they were calloused like hers but more severely, probably from an instrument of some sort. this made her smile; a reason to talk to him more.

"you don't talk to a lot of people, do you?" she was always blunt without discretion. there was no point in being gentle when everyone would judge her if she was. they all did that, even without thinking much of it before they do it.

the boy's cheeks tinted and he shook his head, utterly embarrassed. she asked next if he had any friends in school and his embarrassment flourished. she should stop. she knew she should. she just wanted to know more, talk to him more.

"well, now you do." the way she said it, she made no room for argument. it was happening. he could not fight it. "we have classes together, I know that. I know your name is Calum and that you're probably the smartest person in our small town."

he started to protest her statement but Flossy shook her head and placed her hand on the arm placed on his desk, her eyes admiring his in a deep way so he would listen to what she was saying.

"it's scientifically proven that if someone believes in you and encourages you every day, you start to believe them. so believe me, Cal. You're incredibly smart, and that is a scientific fact."

"y-you seem to know a-a lot about science," he commented, looking into her eyes then averting his eyes just as quick as they landed on her caramel colored ones.

the girl shrugged, removing her hand from his arm. it felt cold now that it was no longer obtaining warmth from him. "I pay attention - even if it seems like I don't - I just don't really know a lot about it. I bet you do though."

Calum nodded, smiling slightly. this made Flossy smile bashfully, almost like she didn't want anyone to see it. "I knew it!" she exclaimed quietly so that only the two of them could hear it. she had a confident and accomplished smile being represented on her features. he silently hoped he could make a girl that beautiful smile like that as much as he could. "tell me about it."

Calum looked up at her and raised his eyebrows at her, asking her a question without using his words. "science, of course. what kind you like, why you like it, whatever you want to say about it, really."

he would have, she told herself. he opened his mouth to but instead a ringing sounded through the room. she sighed as the other students in the class turned in their work and left the classroom. he offered to take her paper up, to which she agreed. she moved up to get her bag that she left once she went to sit with Calum. when she looked up, she saw him looking at her, waiting for her to walk to their next class. this made her smile one of those smiles again, this time looking down when it started to spread like a wildfire on her face.

"we're not done this conversation," she declared as they walked into the hall, down to their lab class. "in fact, at the end of biology, I'll give you my number. do whatever you want with it, just - please, no nudes until I'm on my period." she winked at him at the last part left her lips. he turned scarlet, avoiding her eyes. this made Flossy smirk though no one could see it as the pair walked to their last class of the day together wordlessly. Flossy couldn't help but want to talk with him about everything the within the next hour.

this was going to be a fun project.

this seems like it's going to go slow but I promise it'll pick up and the plot isn't as objective as you'd expect. ps flossy is pictured above and she looks like a lil Disney princess but I promise she's not but you'll discover that soon

zodiac compatibility: Leo + Aquarius = 84% & described as most entertaining

mare aka quicksilverluke on ig :-)