Pink Lipstick

I finished two glasses of wine and started feeling a little buzzed. It was close to 5:30 pm, so I decided to take the time to jog. I closed the bottle and slowly walked to my room. After changing into yoga pants and my favorite jogging shirt, I pulled my running shoes from the closet and plugged my earbuds into my phone. I held my breath as I glanced at my phone - one missed call and three texts. 

I unlocked the screen and opened Spotify. The first song started as I stepped into my sneakers and proceeded out the door. The air had a chill and the Red Hot Chili Peppers kept me company. Cursing myself for forgetting my new sunglasses, I started to jog toward the small park around the corner. 

It felt amazing, but my brain kept going. I thought about Harry- where he was, who he was with, why he was with her, how long he'd been seeing her, why he had stepped up to be so good to my boys, why he had made such an effort to be with me and what all of this meant.

You'll drive yourself mad, Sophie! I scolded myself. My heart was hurting, but finally the brain and heart met in the middle. I knew I needed to just ask him for the truth...no matter how much it might hurt.

I made my way through the park and back to my building. I entered the security code and walked inside. It was warm and comforting. The music ended and I pulled the earbuds out. My key was in my shoe, so I took it off and unlocked my door. 

_______

On top of the small table next to my front door was a single pink rose. The card attached by a green silky ribbon had a handwritten note: Please join me for dinner. Nothing too fancy. My place, 8 pm. xo H

Slowly, I brought the rose to my nose. It smelled wonderful, I smiled and for a moment I forgot about the other woman. It was 6:45pm, so I called Rayne. 

"Who is she?" my sister demanded.

"I don't know."

"I will beat him to a pulp if he hurts you," she yelled. "You've been through too much. This isn't right."

I remained calm as she ranted. 

"When are you going to confront him?"

"He invited me to dinner," I replied while removing my shoes.

"Well, you should go. Looking HOT!" she scoffed. "He's gotta know what he would miss out on."

"Rayne, how can I compete with a young blonde that wears five inch red heels?" I whined.

"No way! Sis, you've got this!" she told me firmly. "Now, go get dressed and send me a pic when you're ready. Love you, bye."

She hung up before I could argue.

______

I shaved my legs in the shower, washed with peppermint soap and braided my hair so it would dry with a natural curl.

With a towel wrapped around me, I searched through my closet. I found a black leather mini skirt, a sheer white long-sleeved blouse and my favorite silver sandals. I rummaged around in my underwear drawer and found a pair of pink silk underwear to match my silk pink camisole.

In my undergarments, I applied my makeup. Ironically, my pink lipstick matched my underclothes- I giggled. I knew Harry would find this humorous - well, I hoped for sexy, but he didn't mind if I dressed causally most of the time.

By 7:30, I was ready to go. I  snapped a picture and sent it to Rayne. 

Rayne: HOT, mama! Go get him!