Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

"My babies... I don't wanna lose my babies." I say with my head crouched into my knees. He tightened his grip around my waist and rocked me slowly from side to side.

"Could you give us a minute?" He asked Dr. Asiago. He also had her turn the volume up on the babies' heart monitor.

"Rich, I'm sorry. I should've just gotten checked out like you said. Then our babies wouldn't be in so much danger." I cried to him.

"Listen... Look at me."

"This isn't your fault sweets. Things like this are bound to occur when you're carrying multiple babies. You hear that monitor?" Looking into my eyes, he pointed his head in the direction of the machine. I listened but I didn't respond.

"Do you hear it?" He asked again.

"Yes." I answered in barely a whisper.

"Tell me what you hear." He lifted my chin and stared into my eyes as he waited for me to answer.

"Heart beats."

"Whose heart beats?" He connected his forehead to mine and cupped my chin. I could see my tears falling onto his hand.

"Baby Deuce... and Rima." I said in tears.

"Exactly, and as long as we hear those heart beats then nothing else is relevant. Those heart beats represent hope; listen... That's it breathe. Breathe babies." He spoke in such a manner that I couldn't help but to calm down.

The more I listened, the more my own breathing began to even out. Rich just held me in his chest and rubbed my stomach as we were soothed by the sound of life that our babies released.

"Ahhh shit!" I jerked up away from Rich almost in tears again. That same familiar pain that I'd been feeling for days now was back again. Only this time I would've thought someone had lunged a butcher knife into my back, grinding deeper into it over and over again.

"Steph we just went through this." Rich laughed.

I snapped my neck in his direction and glared at him and he immediately shut up. If looks could kill, then I'm positive that he'd be dead by now. I gripped the railing of the bed in hope for some temporary relief.

"Contraction?" He questioned.

Lord, why did he choose today to be a dumb ass?

"Rich! Ughhh.." I yelled.

"Okay, I'll be back." He jumped out of the bed and jogged out of the room in search for Dr. Asiago.

Minutes later the door swung open and not only had the doctor come, but so had my parents and Rich's parents. As nice as it was to see them, I was hurting too bad to be friendly. Rich returned to my side and rubbed my back while Doctor Asiago sanitized her hands again. I was sweating profusely and these cramps were coming a little under two minutes apart.

"I'm gonna check your dilation progress. When you arrived you were only at 4 1/2 and they were several minutes apart," she explained as she propped my feet up on the stirrups. Both of our parents were seated behind the curtains on the opposite side of the room.

"This may feel a bit uncomfortable." She warned. She was right. I turned my lip up as I felt her hands move around inside me.

"Wow," she giggled to herself. I was about damn tired of all this laughing.

"What is it?" Rich leaned forward to try and see what she was doing.

"I hope you're ready, because you're 9 centimeters dilated and Reynolds duo is preparing for arrival." She stood to her feet quickly, removed the gloves and pulled out her phone.