Atom

"How are you with bullet wounds?" I shout into the phone when Clarke picks up.

"What happened? Are you okay?" She sounds terrified.

"No, calm down. I'm fine. It's Atom." I say as I reach over to shake him. He hasn't been able to keep his eyes open.

"Atom? You need to stay awake. Can you hear me?" I shake him again and am relieved when he moans.

"Bellamy how bad is it?" Clarke still sounds scared.

"Bad. Can you help him?" My heart is racing uncontrollably as my lifelong friend fights for every breath. In my mind I know that he won't survive, but in my heart I hope for a miracle.

"I can try, but he should go to a hospital." She says in a stronger voice.

"I can't. If we take him there then the cops will get involved and that'll be worse." I say hating, once again, the life that I live.

She exhales loudly to show how strongly she disagrees with my choice. "Where are you?"

"Almost there. Meet me by the corner of Main and Franklin in two minutes."

I shut my phone and chuck it down to my leg. I take a turn so fast that the car goes up on two wheels for a second before slamming back down. Atom groans from the pain of being jostled.

"Hold on, buddy. We'll get you help. Clarke can fix this. She has to." I add the last part under my breath and hope that he can't hear me.

"Bellamy." He chokes out and starts to cough. I look over and see a pool of blood in his lap. Grabbing the towel that he must have in his car for when he goes to work out I reach across to press it against his chest. I press hard knowing that you need to apply a good amount of pressure. He moans again, but I keep my hand there until I have to shift again.

"Here, hold it for a second." I take the last turn and see Clarke waiting on the sidewalk. I hop out of the car and let her get in the back. My heart sinks when I see her eyes widen with shock at the amount of blood.

"Bellamy," She says as I pull away from the curb and head to my place, "he looks really bad."

The way she says it in an almost too gentle tone breaks my heart. She's trying to prepare me for the worst, but the only thing I can think is that she can fix this. She should be able to make it all okay. I've given up my life, my sister, my friends already. I can't lose anyone else. I can't lose him. Atom has been with me through everything. He is the closest friend I've ever had.

I pull into my driveway and kill the mustang because I don't hold the clutch right. I leave it and jump out so that I can get Atom out. I carry him inside and Clarke runs to grab towels. We lay him gently on top of them and Clarke grabs the first aid kit.

"Bellamy, it's too late." Atom chokes out. "I need you to tell-" He breaks into a fit of coughs.

"Atom, you'll be okay. You can talk to your girl yourself. You'll run away together and I'll be an uncle to your crazy kids." I say and feel a tear break away from my eye. It falls on his cheek.

"Are you crying?" He asks me and half laughs half chokes.

"Shut up."

"It's bad, man. Just tell Rebecca that I'm sorry. Please. She lives in Kent in the green house." He starts to cough again and blood flies from his mouth.

"Clarke, he's coughing up blood." I whisper. She's been trying to stop the blood from the wound in his chest.

"I know. Bellamy, he's lost too much blood. There's nothing I can do. Even if we can stop the bleeding he won't survive for long."

I rip my jacket off and pull my shirt off. I hold my arm out to her. "Here. Take my blood. We're the same type. Take all you need. He can't... I can't..."

I can't even say my worst fear out loud. Clarke gives me a look full of sympathy and pity.

"Bellamy, we don't have the equipment to do a transfusion." She gently pushes my arm away from me and then grabs my hand tightly just as Atom starts to groan more and then scream.

"What's wrong?" I ask him and he just continues to scream and plead for it to end.

"Bellamy." Clarke squeezes my hand again so I will look at her. "I can help him, with the pain."

"You mean..." I can't say that she means she'll kill him out loud.

"It's the only thing we can do." She pulls a knife out from her purse and holds it close to Atom's neck.

"No, I'll do it." I take it from her with a shaking hand and look at my best friend. "I'm so sorry."

My hand is shaking so much that I almost drop the knife. It's not that I've never seen death, but I've never had to hurt someone that I care about. I realize in this moment how weak I really am. Suddenly a soft hand covers mine and pries the blade from my hand. Clarke starts to hum as she pushes the hair away from Atom's neck. Then, without stopping her humming she slides the blade into his throat and I hear him take his last breath.

A/N I know this one was a sadder one, but I hope you still liked it.