Job

"Are you ready?" I ask Clarke. "Are you sure you can do this?"

"Bring it on." She says excitedly before taking a huge bite of the funnel cake.

I start to laugh as her eyes bulge. She moans her approval.

"That is amazing. How have I never had this before?" She groans again and licks her lips before ripping off another piece.

"You're asking me. I seriously can't believe that you've lived without this in your life." I tease her and rip off a piece for myself. The sugar melts on my tongue and I chew the delicious morsel of food before kissing away some powdered sugar on the side of Clarke's mouth.

We've both been giddy and silly sense she said yes. We haven't told anyone and don't plan to, but luckily this is a place where it's completely normal to act stupid happy.

I spin Clarke in a circle so I can grab another bite of the funnel cake before it's gone.

"Hey, no fair; you can't just spin me around so you can eat it all." She pouts.

"Don't worry you can have the rest." I say when her eyes squint at me in a warning.

"That's what I like to hear." She giggles as she plops another bite into her mouth.

"Bellamy." Atom comes up behind me. The look on his face tells me that this night isn't going to stay light and happy like I want it to. "Sorry, Clarke can I borrow your boyfriend for a minute."

"Sure," she says with all of the humor gone from her eyes, "just don't keep him too long."

"I won't; I promise." Atom says and puts a hand to his chest in a promise.

I drop a quick kiss to Clarke's forehead before following Atom away from the festival.

"What is it?" I ask him as we turn down the street that leads to Nyko's place.

"We have a job. It won't take long. It's just a drop and retrieval." He says and stops in front of his car which is parked on the side of the road.

"And it couldn't wait?" I ask irritated that I'm having to leave Clarke and our night for something so simple.

"Yeah, sorry man. We'll get you back to your girl in no time, promise. It'll be in and out; easy." He pulls his door open and I follow suit. I slide into his mustang GT and he pulls away from the sidewalk before my door is even closed.

"Here, just in case." He pops open the glove compartment after shifting to reveal a pistol.

"I'm fine. I don't need a gun to drop something off. Where's the cargo?" I ask him and he shakes his head before slapping the compartment closed.

"It's in the trunk in a black box. Not sure what it is, but when are we ever?" He turns to the right which leads out of town.

After a couple of minutes of driving in silence he coughs. "So, what is going on with you and Clarke? Why did you run off with her?"

"It's complicated." Is all I say because as hard as it is I'm not sure I can trust Atom with my secrets no matter how small.

"That's all you're going to give me?" He complains.

"Yes. How about you? Any new girl?" I ask him to change the subject.

"Fine, be that way. There is this girl, but it's still early on. I'm not ready to share her with anyone just yet."

"Wow, you must really like her then." I point out knowing that he's always talking about the different girl of the week.

"Yeah, she's great and makes me want to be a better person." He says and I can see a slight blush on his cheeks.

"Wait. Are you telling me that you're becoming soft?" I tease him, but when I look at his face I can tell that this isn't a joke to him. "You're serious aren't you?"

"Yeah. She lives a couple of towns over and I met her three months ago. She wants to move away with me. And the crazy thing is that I want to too."

"What about Nyko?" I ask him knowing that Nyko doesn't just let anyone leave.

"Who cares. I don't want to lose her because of Nyko. She actually sees me as a good person. She doesn't care about what I've done. If it were Clarke wouldn't you give this all up so you could be with her?" He asks me and his question hits me hard.

"Yes." I state and I realize that I was wrong to keep this from him. He is in the same situation as me except he's actually getting out.

"Exactly. We have it set up. I'm leaving next week of course I'm trusting you to not tell anyone because if you do then I'm a dead man." He looks me square in the eyes and I know that I could never betray him.

"You know I have your back." I tell him and he nods his head before pulling to a stop outside a boarded up building.

"We're here." He says and turns his car off.

"Okay, I'll take the package and you stay back to cover." I say before we hop out of the car. We walk around to the back and he pops the trunk. There is a small black box which I pick up. It fits in one hand easily. Atom pulls a gun out of the trunk that was sitting next to the box and cocks it before motioning for me to go ahead.

I go around to the back of the building remembering the way from the multiple times we've come here before. It's a neutral area for the town which makes it a good place for trading. I step inside and am glad for the single lightbulb that is hanging by a string from the ceiling inside. There are rats scurrying across the ground and someone standing in the corner of the room. He steps into the light and I have to hide my shock at seeing Lincoln.

"You have something for me." He says as he walks closer to me.

"Yes, and you have something for me." I say and take a step towards him.

"It's right here." He points to a paper sack.

"Good." I say trying to sound nonchalant when all I want to do is ask about O. But I know this isn't the time nor the place for such talk.

I hand him the box while grabbing the bag with my other hand. I peek inside and see a bundle of money. It's at least a couple thousand dollars. I crinkle it back up and walk back the way I came in. I nod at Atom who is hiding behind a shelving unit with his gun out. He nods back to me and sneaks back out. We meet up at his car and he unlocks the doors. I slip inside right when I hear it.

Shots ring out and I duck down as glass shatters around me. I pop open the glove compartment and look out the driver's side to see an SUV racing off. I can't see Atom so I jump out of the car and rush around while staying down as gunshots rain down around me. I trip over something as I get to the other side of the car and barely keep myself from falling. I look at what I tripped on to see Atom lying on the gravel clutching his chest. More shots are fired and I crouch down and take aim. I shoot at the SUV aiming for the tires. After three shots I hit my target and the tire blows out. The SUV swerves and crashes into a street light.

Four men jump out of it and they all have hoods on so I can't see them. They run towards another set of buildings. I take a step to chase after them but then hear Atom cough. I look down at him and see that the bleeding is getting worse. I kneel down next to him and place my hands over the wound.

"Bell? What happened?" He groans.

"I don't know. Atom stay with me. I'll get you help. We need to get you in the car." I gently pull him up and practically carry him to the other side of the car. I reach inside and brush the broken glass off of the seat before helping him sit.

I slam the door shut and run around to the other side of the car. I turn it on and the gears grind as I slam it into reverse. Then I flip the car around and drive towards town. While driving like crazy I reach into my pocket and call the only person that I know can help us right now.

A/N Hey! Thanks for reading! I hope you're liking it. What do you think of this chapter? Who was it? Ideas?