Chap. 11: The Three of Them

Chapter 11

The Three of Them

7 hours later, around 3 AM, I was unlocking the door of mine and Philip's apartment. Surprisingly, there was a faint light coming from the living room. I brushed it off, thinking that Philip must've fallen asleep in front of the telly as he often did.

I walked in, leaving my suitcases in the entrance, too lazy to do anything with them.

I almost jumped when I saw Phil standing in the middle of the living room with a gigantic bouquet of red roses in his hands and a gigantic smile plastered on his face.

He opened his arms and I ran into them.

Seeing him strangely made me enter a stage of almost denial, as if my time with Dan had happened in a sort of parallel universe. I hadn't cheated on Philip, what happened was in another time, another universe. But I knew it wasn't true.

Our bodies collided as tears flood up my eyes. He absentmindedly dropped the flowers to the ground to hold me.

My fingers tangled in his dirty blonde hair as he tenderly kissed me.

"I've missed you so bad." He whispered, his lips still millimetres away from mine as our foreheads rested against one another.

He wiped the tears away with his thumbs and I buried my head in his chest, unable to look directly into his warm chocolate brown eyes by fear of him figuring out what I had done.

"I missed you too." I said with a shaky voice.

I clung to him for the longest of times, trying to forget how his body fit differently with mine from the way Daniel's did. I breathed in deeply, trying to remind myself he used to be my favourite smell, before Dan's scent took his place.

I bit the inside of my cheek roughly.

I heard the kettle whistle from the kitchen as I felt him move against me. "I was making you your favourite tea." He said as he tenderly tucked a strand of my red hair behind my ear. He held my head with both hand and deposed a kiss on my forehead.

"You knew when I'd be arriving?" I questioned him and he led me to the kitchen, the flowers long forgotten.

I looked quickly around, nothing had changed, from all the love notes tacked onto the refrigerator to the perfectly organized spice rack.

One thing was different tough. There, on the blackboard where we usually wrote what we need at the grocery store, was a gigantic 0 followed with a small sentence: days till Nora comes back.

I bit my lip. When I was in New York, I counted the days down until I couldn't be with Dan anymore, while he, counted the days down until he would see me again.

"No, I just kept boiling water until you got back." He chuckled softly as he sat me on a kitchen stool.

When I frowned he spoke up again. "No sarcasm here." He said and I felt my heart clench a little bit more.

"So you waited all night long for me to come home while continuously boiling water to make me some tea?" I asked as I watched him work his way around the kitchen.

He retrieved two mugs from the cupboard and starting to make my tea, perfectly how I liked it.

"I'd do anything for you Nora." He smiled gently at me from the other side of the kitchen.

I could see he tiredness in his warm brown eyes, but I also could see the glimmer in them when he looked at me. He was such an attentive and affectionate guy, he always made your happiness his priority instead of his'. He was selfless, while I was selfish.