Chapter Twenty- Eight

For those who are reading this while i'm updating, I might have like, 5 or less chapters left. for those who aren't, read on! :) 

----------------------------------------------

I sit in my cave, arms around my knees and Bear lying next to me. I pet his head softly. I've been thinking hard about the plan for getting rid of the guards all day and night, for about two days now. I haven't seen Evan yet, and for some reason, I don't really want to see him again. Maybe he would apologize for what happened that one day, and say that he doesn't actually like me. . . I'm just afraid that something bad would happen.

   As for me, if I like him back, I don't know. Really, truly like him back. I'm having mixed feelings about Evan and what he thinks about me. He used to act like he couldn't stand the sight of me, then he confessed that he would only get me into "trouble." Then he actually kissed me, and hugged me tight against him, like was telling himself never to let go of me again. It's just all so confusing, I think to myself frustratedly.

   I reach down and stroke Bear. "Sleepy?"

   He had closed his eyes and rested his head on his paws, but he lifts it up when I touch him. I gently push him back down, and he closes his eyes again.

   Suddenly, I have the idea I've been waiting patiently for. I think I have my plan. I've been thinking if it could work, and possibly it could. But, if Evan or Gale had a better idea, I guess we could do what they want to. Mine's only an idea.

   "Bear!" I say happily, startling him. "I've got it now! Come, we have to go tell Evan now." He can tell by the sound of my voice we're going somewhere, so Bear stands to his big paws. I quickly push dust and dirt over the fire, and it dies out with a sizzling sound. I make sure no living embers could erupt into flame again, before taking my now-finished bow, and my new five arrows, plus my old one. I pull the arrow bag over my shoulder, and I take my bow in my hands. This would only be a short trip, but that doesn't mean I can leave the fire going, and I certainly can't leave my bow. Again.

   I hurry out of the cave, but make sure that I'm quiet and nobody's watching. I quickly run into the forest before somebody could spot me. I stay behind the undergrowth and the tall trees, swiftly moving as if I was a fox caught in the daylight. Bear comes after me, surprisingly quiet for his huge furry paws.

   I memorize the path immediately. I've gone on this for so long, back and forth to the lake with my mom, when she was here. She was the one who found this trail and first walked upon it.

   I stop as the trees suddenly stop. I see my old house, sitting there in the empty clearing. It looks abandoned and. . .  sad. Nothing's inside, except for Evan. I cringe and make myself walk forward, knowing no guards are going to be around here. But it's the feeling, and the memories that all come rushing back to me as I walk up to it. I feel as though it doesn't belong to me, in which, it kind of does. But the goosebumps on my arms, and the churning feeling in my stomach says the opposite.

   I reach forward and knock. Why was I knocking? This was my house. I swing open the door and step inside. I see Evan in the kitchen, resting his hands on the table and leaning forward like he has a long on his mind. I do, too. He looks up, and for the first time I've ever seen, his eyes actually light up to see me. I plaster a smile across my lips. It's scary, almost, how fast his feelings changed to me. One part of me says that I shouldn't trust him, or I should still hate him. But I force that down, and I walk forward.

   "You're here," I croak. I clear my throat. "I thought you wouldn't be."

   "I am," he says stiffly. He lets out a sigh. "This place is so. . . "

Primrose MellarkOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara