Chapter Twenty

It's been two days since I went fishing, and I was forced to hunt more animals rather than fish, for now. But my stomach ache is gone, and I feel loads better than what I felt before. And, for the first time in what seemed like forever, today I actually tied my hair back. It was weird at first, because it felt like I didn't have anymore hair. But then after a while, I sort of got used to it. But it won't stay like this, probably. I might take it out for bedtime.

   It's really bad weather today. Humidity, cold gray skies, and wind. The worse kind of weather, and I plan to stay inside for as long as I can bear. I shiver and put more logs into the fire to keep the cave warm. I hold my freezing hands above the flames, and think of how wonderful it would be to have an actual fireplace, where I don't have to worry about stepping on the fire whenever I get up. My fire right now is in the center of the sand. I look around. I could make room, I guess. I could dig a hole in the side of the sand, and clear it out. That's what I'm going to work on while I'm trapped in this miserable cave. Hopefully the weather dies down soon.

   I move carefully from my bed to the other side of the cave. But I make sure where I'm digging the fireplace, to make sure the fire doesn't come in contact anywhere near the food and supplies. I take my little hand-shovel and start to make an outline for the fireplace, and how big it should be.

   I start to dig and dig, casting the extra dirt in a little pile next to me. I dig a little slowly, to make sure that I don't hit through, to the air outside. But I realize halfway, that there's rocks deep down where the walls are, so the fire will have a stone back to it. I would have to put rocks around the rim, too, to to safe. I take some loose rocks from my wall and make a little half circle around the rim after I am done digging. 

   After that part is over, is when I have to think. How am I supposed to get my fire, over to the fireplace? I sit back and stare at it, trying to hatch an idea. Then I do. I take my metal shovel and I put it into the fire. It picks up a fire-covered branch, and I quickly drop it into the pit. I do that, taking each of the branches with my shovel and dropping them in along with the others as quickly as I could. Now, are the embers left over. I put a fresh branch into the fire to make sure it doesn't go out, and a few handfuls of grass. I start to dig a tiny hole in the sand, and burying the hot embers beneath the pebbles and dirt. I pat it down to make sure it's out.

   I lean back and sigh. That took a lot less time than I thought it would take, and the fireplace looks pretty good. I watch the fire, and find myself growing a little drowsy. I curl up with my knees against my chest. I wish somebody was here with me. Anybody besides Evan, that is. 

   I start to think more. Maybe a pet would make me less lonely. But what kind of pet?

   "Prim!" I hear, just over the wind. I freeze, and wondered if I imagined. "Prim!" I sit up, and crawl to the door. I open it up, and squint against the glare of the gray clouds and the wind. Somebody's out there, and I can see a shape stumbling around.

   I can see him, now. "Over here!" I call. What could he possibly want? He looks at me, and then walks quickly over. His clothes and hair are damp, and he bends down to meet my gaze, his eyes wide.

   "Prim," he pants. "You need to see this, quickly." 

   "What is it?"

   Evan says, "No time to talk. I can tell you when we get there, and you have to hurry." I slip on my boots, but I don't have enough time to get my jacket. I run out of the cave, and I stumble after Evan as he jogs into the forest. Why in heaven's name is he making me go out into this weather? And what could be so important that couldn't wait? I blindly run through the forest, following the noise of his feet against the ground. I squint as it starts rain, soaking down my clothes. I shiver and wrap my arms around my chest. Evan looks back at me for a moment, but continues to run, but slowing down just a bit.

   Then he stops, and turns to signal me to be quiet. I look around and try to see where we are. I recognise this place. It's the forest just before you enter into the old soccer field. Evan ducks down and I do also. I peer over the bush.

   I am shocked to see people swarming around the field. I peer harder. They all have orange vests on, clearly not worrying if they are seen. But then again, there's not supposed to be any people here, anyways. I watch them as they look around, and kick the ground. Then I see a something called a bulldozer. What are they doing to the field? I look at Evan, and he puts a finger to his lips, signaling to be quiet. I nod and turn my gaze to the people.

   "They're digging for something," Evan whispers. "I've been watching for two days, but I don't know what."  

   I watch them as they walk around and tear at the ground. There's more than twenty, that's for sure, and they don't seem like they've come from District Twelve. Then I look over at Evan and blink against the rain. His eyebrows are knitted together, either concentrated, or angry. I can't seem to ever tell which.  

   "Why did you bring me here?" I ask suddenly, barely remembering to lower my voice. Evan looks over, surprise flashing across his face. Then a scowl again.

   "Because you're the only person here besides me." he says flatly.

   "But why would you care if I saw them or not?" I press.

   Evan sighs and looks over at me. "You seem to never run out of questions, don't you? I told you because if they captured you, I would have to tell the others that I was responsible for you-- which I am, partly-- and that I lost you. I would get in trouble." I squint my eyes. That didn't seem entirely true. But I didn't ask anymore questions, because he turns his gaze back to the people.

   "We should go now," Evan says.

   "You got that right." A deep voice says. I freeze, and somebody's hand rests on my shoulder tightly. My gaze follows the arm, to the owner. I gulp. He's a large tall man dressed in the same orange uniform. He is angry.

   "W-who are you?" I ask.

   He snarls. "I should be asking you that. And why you're here." I open my mouth to talk, but suddenly Evan whips something out of his pocket and slashes the man's leg. The man bends over in pain, and Evan grabs my arm. Evan folds his knife and shoves it in his pocket, dragging my along quickly. I run along with him, my feet slipping in the mud. I look back at the man. He's pointing at us to the other men. I gulp and turn back to Evan. Instead of taking the way we just came in, he leads me down another trail. I don't question.

   "Follow me!" I hear Evan shout. He lets go of my arm, but still makes sure that I'm following. I run frantically after him, and I have no idea where he's heading. I stumble through the rough, unflattened forest trail. Suddenly the trees clear out, and there's a clearing with a little cabin. It's a log cabin, and no bigger than a car. He opens the door and I run inside. He runs in and shuts the door. I peer out the window. Two men burst into the clearing. We're doomed, it seems to me. I close my eyes and be ready for them to get us.

   "Hurry up!" Evan snaps. I look back at him. He's opening something on the ground. A tunnel. I blink, surprised, but I climb in. Evan locks the door, and the workers slam the door, trying to reach us. Evan climbs in after me, and we're left in the dark as he closes the top. I try not to breath heavily.

   I can hear them break the door open, and search the room. They knock over something in anger, and open the door once more. I cover my head in my knees in relief. Evan quietly and slowly opens the door again.

   "Where are we?" I ask, as I climb out of the little underground cave cellar. I gaze around the room. The walls are logs, the floor's cement, and the little window is broken. Cobwebs rule the top of the ceiling like it's their home, and not a stinky cabin. Evan looks over at me.

   "My old house." he says softy. He doesn't say anymore, except for, "You probably need to go home now."

   I step forward. "What about you? What about them? It's not going to be safe anywhere anymore." 

   Evan glances at me. "Nothing's ever safe, Prim. The sooner you learn that the better it will be. Everything has danger. This is merely another object." I look at him in confusion. What does that mean? 

   Evan points to the door. "Go, now." And I do. I head out into the rain once more, only to leave Evan alone in the darkness and cold of the little cabin. His old home. I turn and run home as fast as I could. I slip in the growing mud, but I don't care. I just want to be back in my cave.