Chapter Fourteen

I sighed deeply as the building fear grew inside me. My hands shook as I stood before the car that would take my family away. They were swarming around it, and Rye was sitting in the back, getting ready for the hours that waited before them. I kept wondering how I was going to pull this off. Surely I would get caught before I could do it. I'll have to be sneaky. No matter much I hated to do it, I needed to.

   I walked into the car when Rye got out. He ran up to the house and went inside. Knowing I won't have much time, I quickly put the pillows and blankets down in the back, and draped the blanket over the pillows. I lifted up it a little, and put the note I'd written down on the pillow, so when they open the blanket, they'll see the note.

   It said on the front, "Mom and papa, I am so sorry to say this, but I am back at home. Don't worry about me- I'll be totally fine. I'm planning to stay home, in the wilderness of our forest home. I will stay alive and well by the bread, water, and coverage of our home. And this is about time that I thank you for teaching me the bow and arrows. I will hunt if I run out of supplies, and I will be careful with the fire when I cook it. Thank you so much for your support on this. And please, do not come back to fetch me. I will call you at the end of the summer, ready to come back.

   The meaning of this is that I plan to show everybody I can survive on my own. I will be back before the baby comes, I promise. And please tell Rye that I'm okay, and I will watch out for Bear.

-Primrose."

   It was a long note, but it was as short as I could get it. I had so many mixed feelings right now. Thoughts that confused me. Should I stay and risk it? Or should I just go with them? Sadness, happiness, guilt, and confusion was racing though me. Also fear was there, too.

   I quickly shoved the note in the pillow and put the blanket back on. I walked quickly out of the car, and very quietly, I looked around. When nobody was in sight, I dove into the trees, away from sight.

   I looked on painfully as they climbed into the car. They didn't come out of the car, calling my name, so I assumed they fell for it. I just hoped that they wouldn't look back until they are close to the new town.

   I wished with all my heart that I could say good-bye to Rye, but if I did, I'll blow my cover. If I could have one thing, just one thing, I would take the chance and say good-bye to him and my mom and papa. But I can't, I thought to myself bitterly. You wanted this, and you're going to get it, whether you like it or not.

   I watched as they drove away, and the fear inside me rose until my fingers were shaking. I ran away from the tree and quickly ran up to my door. I fiddled with the keys, and I slammed it open. I shut the door and locked it again, willing myself not to look back at them.

   This was by far the craziest thing I'd ever done. Period. Well, once I tried to dig a huge hole to the center of the earth, and ended up falling inside a four foot hole. I couldn't get out, and I had to call for help. But this was still crazy. I thought of how much trouble I can get in for doing this. 

   I sighed shakily and turned to the kitchen. It was empty of any life. Even Thrush was gone with my family. I was completely all alone.

   I sighed and walked over to my supplies in my room. I swung open the closet door and took out a box that had my weapons in it. My bow and arrows, a knife, and a saw for some reason. I took out another box that had my food supplies in it, and another box with my clothes. 

   Stacked in my arms, I carried them to the kitchen and plopped them down. I didn't have electricity, so I can't have meat. I had water, crackers, jerky, and my own weapons to hunt my own meat. If I ran out of water, I would go down to the lake. I would have to boil the water first to get the germs out, though. But at least I had water.