Chapter 13: James

"Albus, what is your image for the interview going to be?" I asked while we were walking in the corridor, waiting for Lily.

"Image?"

"You know, everyone has something they want to be known for in the Games. It helps with sponsors."

"That's really stupid. Is it mandatory?"

I was getting irritated, "No, but it helps."

"Well, then I won't bother with an image."

I finally snapped, "WHAT THE BLOODY HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU?"

His eyebrows raised, "What are you talking about?"

"YOU KNOW WHAT! The stunt you pulled during assessments, that's going to cost you horribly! And now you won't even bother preparing for interviews! You're wrecking my entire plan! Don't you want to win?"

Albus' eyes narrowed in suspicion and anger, "What plan?

"None of your business," I snapped, "This is about you not caring!"

"You think that I want to win? Winning means killing! Killing our friends, our family, James! Is that what you want?"

"Of course not! But I thought that you would care! At least try to stay alive!"

"We're Potters!" Albus spat, "There's no chance! We might as well take one of those daggers and slit our own throats now!"

"Albus-"

"I can't, James," I heard the despair in his voice, "I can't."

"Try to. For them. For Uncle Ron, Aunt Hermione, Mum, Dad."

"They can take care of themselves."

"Then do it for Lily. How do think she would feel if you died three seconds into the arena and didn't even try. Don't you care about her?"

"Of course I care about Lily. But there's only one victor! I'll die before I kill Lily. I'd kill myself."

"You can't always put everyone else before you. You can't protect everyone."

"I'll try," he said, his voice devoid of any emotion.

"And who will protect you?"

"That doesn't matter."

"So you're basically saying that you're not going to try, you know you'll die."

"Yes."

"What if you and Lily are the final two?"

"What about you?"

"I won't always be there for you."

"Then I'll kill myself."

I heard a sniffle around the corner. I stepped towards it, "What-"

Lily stepped out from behind it, her eyes puffy and red. She had been crying. She had heard us.

Albus looked horrified with himself, "Lily-"

She shook her head, "Don't," and ran off.

"Lily!" Before going as well, Albus looked back at me and said, "Fine. I'll have an image." He took off after her, calling desperately.

I stood frozen on the spot. But after a minute or so, I looked down at my wristwatch. I tapped on it and said, "It's James Sirius Potter. Coast clear."

Someone appeared on my watch, "Well? How's the plan going?"

I nodded, "Perfect."

I felt a bit guilty about doing this. But I couldn't turn back now. What would Albus and Lily say? If only they knew.