Chapter 20: Albus

It was the first time I had ever seen James cry. The next time I saw him, I had acted like I didn't. But I saw it. It was when he turned away from Fred, trying to hide his face from him. But he had seen them and so had I.

The fact that James cried caused the weight of everything descended upon me. James never cried. He was James. But I guess things change with the Hogwarts Games. And people change. Or maybe people never changed, but the Games brought out the hidden parts of them.

"Good luck," Ron said, "I believe in you."

"What about Hugo?"

"I believe in all of you."

"I'm scared," I blurted out, not thinking.

He looked thoughtfully at me, "I know. So am I. You'd have to be crazy not to be. It's nothing to be ashamed of."

"But you're a Gryffindor, the house of the brave at heart," I said.

"It doesn't mean I don't experience fear. You can both be scared and brave," he stated wisely.

"How?" I needed all the bravery I could get right now.

"You face what you fear, knowing that you are scared out of your wits, and yet you still look that fear in the eye, standing up to it," he shrugged, his ears growing red at his seriousness, "At least, that's what I think."

"Thanks, Uncle Ron." I meant it.

He winked, "That's what I'm here for."

I came to Aunt Hermione, "I'll miss you, Aunt Hermione."

She smiled warmly at me, kindness radiating in her teary brown eyes, "I guess that's your way of saying 'I love you.'"

"Yeah."

"I'll miss you too. You have a chance, you know. So don't count yourself out."

"I know I have a chance. But winning would mean that Hugo would have to die," I pointed out, "There's only one victor."

"There's a chance for all of you," she insisted.

"There's only one victor!" I repeated, "Nothing can ever change that!"

She pursed her lips and said, "I don't think so."

And then I caught on, "What are you planning?"

"I can't tell you now. But you'll know when the time is right."

Hope burst through my chest. There was a chance that all of us could make it out alive. There really was. I must've shown it on my ace because Hermione warned, "Don't get your hopes too high, though. Good luck, Albus."

The balloon inside me deflated a little. Hermione was never one to give other people a sense of false security. "Thanks."

"I don't want to keep you too long, I expect your parents want to speak to you." She pointed her chin at Mum.

She came over as Aunt Hermione left.

"I love you, Mum."

She spread out her arms to embrace me, "You've been so brave, sweetheart."

I ran gladly into her arms, like a child, scared of a nightmare who sought his mother to tell him that everything's going to be alright. I wanted that right now. I wanted her to hold me, stroke my hair lovingly, and whisper that everything would be fine. Except I kind of didn't, I preferred the truth over lies, even the little white lies meant to make me feel better.

So instead, she whispered into my ear, "I'll love you forever."

That short exchange of words between us seemed was enough. We understood each others' unspoken words as if they had been shouted for all the world to hear.

I plainly said, "I know," with the the sincerity and love I could possibly muster two simple words.

"Hey, Albus," my father approached me after Mum had gone.

"Hey, Dad." It sounded like a casual conversation.

"Do you have a plan?" he asked.

"Yeah, James has it worked out."

"Good," he nodded.

"What if I die?" He flinched but I continued, "I have no way of making sure James and Lily will be safe."

"Please, look after yourself." That seemed to be all anyone ever said to me these days. "They can take care of themselves. I worry about you, Albus."

"Don't," I insisted, "I'll take care."

He seemed satisfied. "I love you."

"I love you too."

"Tributes!" Bellatrix called, "It is time! You will touch this special goblet," she motioned her hand towards it, "It will transport you to the arena. From there, the countdown will commence. You go after one, no earlier. The consequences are," her eyes flashed evilly, "severe. Tributes, gather around!"

I gave Dad one last hug before heading towards the goblet. Don't look back. Don't, I thought to myself.

But, apparently, I didn't want to listen to myself. I turned around and got one last glimpse of the fear and sorrow of my loved ones.

"Touch the goblet in three, two, one."

The last thing I saw was my mother sob into my father's chest.

~

We were transported into a place with lots of trees. I knew instantly that it was the Forbidden Forest. Lily was across from me. James was three tributes to my left, with Hugo on his left. Molly and Hermione were next to each other, five tributes from James. Ginny was on my right and Frank was across from her.

The countdown began, audible throughout the whole forest.

"Ten. Nine. Eight."

This was it.

"Seven. Six. Five."

Remember the plan.

"Four."

I could die any moment now.

"Three."

I missed my family.

"Two."

James and Lily...

"One."

The Hogwarts Games began.