Proving your love

Miranda's pov

I'm so scared. I don't know what I should do. I don't want to die. I wanna stay here with Jason. It's amazing. He fell in love with me. The guy I've looked up to for 10 years. I'm not gonna leave him. I call him into the room. He sits beside me in the bed. "I've got nothing to lose, I guess." I whisper, holding the needle. "You're gonna do it?" He asks. I nod reluctantly. "Promise me one thing first." I say. He nods. "Anything, baby." He says. "If things get bad enough, like intolerable, please just pull the plug. I don't wanna be some lifeless vegetable." I whimper, close to tears. He's silent. Probably too shocked.

Jason's pov

If things get really bad, she wants me to kill her?! How can I kill the only girl I've ever loved!!? "Only you." She says. "Why me?" I ask. "You gave me reason to live again. I want you to be the one that sets me free." I'm totally shocked. I don't know if I can. "Of course doll, anything for you." I choke out. She smiles for the first time in a week and holds my hand as she sticks the needle in her arm. I close my eyes. I can't bear to see it.

Miranda's pov

There's no going back now. "Win or lose, it won't matter because I know that someone loved me enough to shave their head, get experimental medicine, and completely turn my life around." I say. Mom walks in carrying Jason's guitar. Dad holds a stool. "What's going on?" I ask. "I-I wrote ya a song." He strains to say. He's really worried about me. Tears stain his cheeks. "Thanks." He says to my parents. "No, thank you. She's so much happier when she's with you." Mom says, hugging him. I can tell he's surprised. I feel my cheeks get hot. He sits on the stool, a smile on his face. "Okay, this is a song I wrote for my girlfriend, the love of my life. You're gonna hate that I'm sayin' this but I'm glad you had cancer otherwise we never woulda met." He says. I laugh. He smiles. "It's called time marches on." He strums the guitar and closes his eyes. "Sister cries out from her baby bed, brother runs in feathers on his head. Mama's in her room learnin' how to sew, daddy's drinkin' beer listenin' to the radio. Hank Williams sings kalija and dear John and time marches on time marches on. Sister's usin' rouge and clear complexion soap, brother's wearin' beads and smokes a lot of dope. Mama is depressed barely makes a sound, daddy's got a girlfriend in another town, Bob Dylan sings just like a rollin' stone and time marches on, time marches on. South moves north north moves south a star is born a star burns out. The only thing that stays the same is everything changes, everything changes!" The song is haunting and enchanting at the same time. The truth behind it though is just suberb. Once he's done, I forcefully stand up even though my leg is screaming in pain. I hug him and he holds me tight. "I'll never forget what you did for me." I whimper. "And you'll never have to. You're gonna make it though this. And I'm gonna be by your side the whole time." He says. "And for the many years to come." He's so sure of this. My parents leave. "Jason are you gonna be okay if by some chance I don't make it?" I ask, carefully. "I won't have to be. Because I know you're gonna survive. You're gonna kick cancer's ass. And be up onstage with me." He says. "OK hypothetically speaking." I say. He stares at the floor. He looks up, meeting my eyes. "I don't know." He sits me down on the bed and calls my parents back in. What's he up to? "I don't ever wanna wake up lookin' into someone else's eyes and I'll never call another girl baby. You're always gonna be my baby. Speaking of babies when you do get better, I can't wait for us to make a family. I guess what I'm sayin' hun, I want you to marry me." He says, completely catching me off guard. I totally didn't see this coming. My parents are just as shocked. "There is no better way to say this." I gasp. He holds my hands. "Let's have a wedding." I finish. He picks me up and holds me tight. "I love you more than anything." He whispers.

*the next day*

Jason's pov

Luke thinks I'm an idiot for doing this. "Jason, she's dying. There's no point." He says. "That's where you're wrong man. One, she ain't dyin'. Two, the point I'm making is I'll love her even if she's days away from death. I don't want her to ever think I don't love her. She's the best damn thing to ever come into my life. And I'm not lettin' her go anytime soon." "Don't say I didn't warn ya." He mutters. "I've been better to my girlfriend in 3 weeks then you have to your wife for 4 years. I hate that you go behind her back like you do. The only reason I don't tell her is because she's my friend but there's a lot you need to learn about love and what you have with Caroline is not love." I gripe. "Yes it is!" He gasps. "If you loved her, why would you do things you know would make her cry? Why would you lie and cheat on her!? That ain't love man. What I have with Miranda, that's love." He's probably never gonna talk to me again. "And if you keep screwing around on her, I will tell her." I leave it at that and walk off towards my fiance's room. "You're making a huge mistake Jason. You're just gonna end up getting burned in the end!" He calls. I just ignore him. My hand rests on the doorknob. I take a deep shaky breath. "Here it goes." I whisper, opening the door. "Honey, I thought we could-" I start but the scene in front of me terrifies me. She's completely still, her eyes closed. Her mom weeps by her bedside. "No, she can't be! It was supposed to save her!" I gasp, backing up into the door.

Miranda's pov

I can't stand it. I was too young to die. I stand at the gates to heaven. I'm dead. I died. I can't believe I died. My poor Jason. I don't know how he's gonna get passed this. "It's not your time." A voice booms.

Jason's pov

I can't believe after everything and she still didn't make it. I walk over to her bed. I've never seen her so still. It breaks my heart. I give her one last kiss. She grabs my arm!! I open my eyes. She's not dead!! I hug her tight. "I really thought I lost you!" I gasp. "Not yet cowboy. You're stuck with me for another 20 years." She says, weakly. "And I wouldn't want it any other way." I whisper, kissing her deeply.