Number one priority

Jason's pov

I've got a few shows to do back in Nashville but I don't want to leave her here in Memphis. I'm sorta stuck and I'm not sure how to break it to her. I walk in her room and she's asleep. Her mom is asleep by her side. Her dad is at work. I hate to have to tell her this. "Hey, honey." I say, shaking her awake. She smiles when she sees me. "I've got to tell ya somethin'." She sits up, looking worried. "It's nothin' really but I've got a few shows back home to do so I'll be gone for a couple days but I'll come back." I explain. She stares at the bed. "OK, I'll see you in a few days then." She says. I hug her tight. I love you baby girl." I say, kissing her forehead and leaving.

Miranda's pov

He will come back. He's just got shows. I shouldn't get so upset. I wipe my eyes. The doctor comes in and attatches a new IV to my arm. I lay back down as the drugs beat me up. I feel something hard by my pillow. Huh? I pick it up. It's a necklace. A heart shaped locket. On the outside it says, "I wanna be there when you wake up. This is so you can see me whenever you want to." I open the locket and inside is a picture of Jason wearing a concert for the cure t-shirt and holding his special pink guitar. It brings tears to my eyes. I put it around my neck.

Jason's pov

I hold my necklace in my hand. Inside mine, is a picture of her sitting on her front porch swing. Her dad gave it to me. It was before she got sick again. It's so hard to say goodbye. I miss her already. I just wanna drive back up there. I'm on my way to Tennessee with my girl on my mind. I stare at her picture. Screw the shows. I don't want to do them. I wanna be by her side while she's going through this. So I'm driving back to Memphis, stopping short of Tennessee. I can't put my dreams before her. I need her here with me. I text Mike telling him what's up.

Miranda's pov

I'm about to watch Jason's show on TV when a news guy appears on the screen with Mike right by him, a sad smile on his face. "Where is Jason Aldean?" The reporter asks. "He's got priorities and his first priority is his girlfriend, sitting alone in a hospital bed in Memphis. He wants to be there for her instead and I respect him for it. He's a great man." Mike replies. He looks to the camera. "Miss. Brown, I hope you're watching this. Everyone in the country music industry is rooting for you." He says. The screen flashes to the Band Perry. "We hope you get better. Good luck and never give up." Kimberly says. I'm beyond shocked. I pull out my phone to record it. Eric Church is onscreen next. "I can't wait to see you and Jason rocking the red carpet at the awards." He says. Brad Paisely is next. "We believe in you. I know you'll get through this. Keep your head held high." The boys from Montgomery Gentry are up there next. "What you're going through and conquering is something to be proud of." Eddie says. "We're all prayin' for ya here." Troy adds. Then shockingly George Strait appears onscreen. "From our family to yours good luck and God bless. You are in our prayers." He says. Tears coursing down my cheeks. Justin Moore appears next holding his daughter in his arms. "Kick cancer's ass." He says with a smile. Then everyone from the country music world that could be there is cheering me on and holding a banner that says, "We have your back." I'm full on sobbing now. Then the TV turns off. I glance around. Jason stands in the doorway. He tosses the remote and walks over to my bed, holding me tight. "I can't go. Not while you're still sick." He says. I wrap my arms around his neck, sobbing. "Did you see that stuff on TV?" I ask. "What happened on TV?" He asks, looking back at it. I show him my phone and what I recorded. "Those guys are the best." He says, setting my phone down. "Thanks for coming back." I choke out. "Of course baby girl, you're my girl and you always come first." He says, kissing my forehead. "I love you Jason." "I love you too sweetheart." We turn CMT on and watch that. He holds my hand while sitting beside my bed.

*a couple weeks later*

My doctor is able to give me some at home treatment thing so I'm back in my house and Jason is right there by my side. He has to hold me up though since I'm so weak. He helps me to the bed then sits crosslegged on the floor as we talk. "Don't you wanna sit up here on the bed?" I ask. He glances at the door. "I don't know if that's such a good idea." He says. "Why not?" "I don't want your parents to get mad." He says. I laugh. "They won't get mad! All you're doing is sitting in my bed." I gasp. He smiles. "I guess if you say it's okay." He sits at the foot of my bed. The sun starts going down so we watch the sunset together. It gets a little cold. "Hey, Jason, there's a space heater in the closet, could you plug it up for me?" I ask. He nods and does then holds me in his lap. "I'll keep ya warm." He says. I snuggle into his chest as he wraps a blanket around my shaking cold weak body. I fall asleep against him.