~1~

Alex: 5
Lily: 4

"Your turn!" I yelled at Luke as Alex complained he needed the toilet, I had Lily on my lap as she blew bubbles.

"Okay." Luke said taking his son to the bathroom.

"So Lily how is nursery?" I asked her as I continued to blow bubbles.

"I made a friend. Her name is Holly." I smiled, it was almost the end of nursery for Lily and she hadn't made any friends. The nursery teachers were very concerned and I didn't know what to say, at home she was always playing games with her brother or when the other kids came around.

"That's wonderful, sweetie. What does Holly look like?" I questioned, I could almost remember the register and I was almost certain there wasn't a Holly.

"She has long hair. Pink. and her tail is blue and shiny, it's also quite sticky." I stopped blowing bubbles.

"Is Holly here now?" I asked, Lily shyly nodded and pointed to her dad's now empty chair.

"I meant real friends honey." I mumbled, playing with her long brown hair. Lily jumped up angrily.

"Holly is real! Holly is real mummy!" She yelled before storming off but not before she pulled 'Holly' with her. Luke came down just in time with Alex.

"What happened then?" Luke quizzed me as our angry daughter stomped into the living room.

"She has an imaginary friend, Holly, and I told her Holly wasn't real. Luke, she hasn't made any friends, is it our fault, are we keeping her too secluded?" I questioned him sadly.

"No, she's probably just got our socially awkward gene." Luke said kissing my head.

"I know but she's clinging to us, I think I should've taken her out more, Luke, I can't let her grow up feeling alone, you know I can't." I whimpered, Luke wrapped his arm around me and I placed my head on his shoulder.

"She's not alone, she's just shy." Luke told me and I nodded, I just hopped that was it.

"Where's Alex?" I questioned.

"He wanted to play with Lily." Luke mumbled sitting beside me, I grabbed his hand and he kissed mine.

"She's gonna be fine. Stop worrying she's only four!" Luke said, he was right, she had plenty of time to make friends, I shouldn't pressure her into anything.

"I'm going to apologise to her." I muttered and walked into the living room. Alex laid on his hands and knees while Lily was sat on his back.

"Hurry pony, I need to get the milk!" Lily exclaimed tapping Alex lightly, I smiled and Alex fell to the floor and Lily jumped up pretending to cry.

"Oh no Pony! Wakey wakey!" I watched with joy as the two played, after a few more minutes I left them to do their own thing.

"She take it okay?" Luke asked.

"She was too busy playing with Alex, I didn't want to disturb that." I replied and he grinned.

"See, she's doing great."

______

As bed time approached Alex being playing up, where as Lily started to become all cuddly and tired.

"Look at me mommy!" Alex said sitting on he couch the wrong way, so his feet were in the air on the wall.

"Alex, stop that!" I told him as Lily laid in my lap all curled up while we watched The Grufflo. Alex began throwing things around and I groaned.

"Right! Get upstairs and I'm going to send daddy up to sort you out." I told him, Luke was in the shower, he showered a night because he got up with the kids.

"No!" Alex argued.

"That's it." I said getting up and trying to put Lily down but she clung onto me.

"Lily, honey, you have to let go, I need to get Alex to bed, I'll be back in a minute." I said, but she refused to let me go. I sighed and picked her up, sliding her onto my hip, her head sinking into my shoulder.

"Get upstairs right now mister!" I exclaimed and tried to grab a hold of him but he slipped from my grasp running into another room. I exhaled angrily before following him.

"Alex, I don't want to chase you honey." I grumbled at him. The bathroom door opened and Luke grabbed Alex.

"Why don't you never listen to mommy!" Luke exclaimed, Alex started whimpering and Luke showed no regret.

"Now, get to bed cause when I get up there I want you to be in your pyjamas and ready for bed." Luke demanded and the young boy ran upstairs to get ready.

"Thanks love." I smiled and he offered to take Lily but she wouldn't let go of me.

"Sorry Luke, she won't stop." I said, he just nodded and gave her a kiss on the forehead as she sleepy muttered an 'I love you daddy.'

"I love you too sunshine." He replied brushing the hair from her face before rushing upstairs to his eldest child.

"Lets get you to bed huh?" I said to the four year old that was pinned to me. She tiredly nodded and rubbed her eyes, I trailed upstairs locking the child gate behind me once I reached the top step.

I walked into Lily's room and set her down, I picked out her pyjamas and changed her before tucking her under the covers and whispering goodnight. As I went to leave she gabbed my sleeve pulling me back.

"Can you check for monsters?" She asked and I nodded, looking under her bed and around the rooms.

"There's nothing that will hurt you baby." I told her with a smile.

"Can you stay till I sleep?" Lily quizzed, I nodded and crawled in beside her. She instantly attached herself to me and all that could be heard was the sound of Luke singing 'I'm Low on Gas and You Need a Jacket' to Alex, in the next room over.

-----

They do get mildly older as the story progresses in just trying to give you a perspective on how they are as they grow up 😁😁😁😁