Chapter 43: My Girl

Recap:

"Hi, I'm Mark, can I help you guys?" I heard a man ask. I looked up and instantly backed up.

"Joey?" He asked and looked at me with sincere eyes.

"Dad?"

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

"Joey! I haven't seen you in-"

"I thought you were dead? What are you doing?" I yelled through gritted teeth.

"I-I Joey, I faked my death." He admitted looking down at his feet.

"Why would you do that! Did Maxine fake her death too?" I yelled bringing up a name I haven't said in over a year.

"Maxine didn't fake her death. Joey, I'm sorry." My dad still tried to apologise.

"No. I will not accept you apology. You have no clue what happened after you "died". I have a boyfriend, mom got married, I have a step brother, I am a national champion, you missed so much! And for what?" I yelled.

"I wanted to start a new life. I wanted to forget what happened in that wreck. I wanted to start a new family, have kids." He said making me cringe.

"Just because you wanted a new life, you pretend to be dead leaving your wife and kid alone together! I hate you." I said the last part with venom dripping from my words.

"Joey, you can't leave now! I found you." My dad called after me as I walked out of the door.

"Dad- Mark, I hate you. I am embarrassed to even call you my father. I hate you, don't even try finding me because of you do you will regret it." I said pointing at him and then turning on my heels, leaving the bakery.

"Joey, what was that?" Daniel asked as soon as the door shut.

"Remember how I told you that my dad and sister died in the car crash?" I asked and he nodded.

"That was my dad." I said.

"I love you." Was all he said and just hugged me. He hugged me as if he didn't, I would slip away.

"It's okay to cry." He said and that was all I needed. I broke down in Daniel's arms sobbing. I cried because the man that I was closest to wasn't dead after all. I cried because I always thought that he should have lived and I should have died.

"Daniel. Can we go to my mom's house?" I asked.

"Anything babe." He said wiping my tears with his thumb.

"I think we are going to go Cat's house. I'm really sorry Joey." Trey said coming up to me and hugging me.

"Call me when you get home if you need to." Cat said hugging me and I thanked her.

"Let's go." I said quietly. Daniel put his hand on the small of my back and started leading me to the car.

"Joey wait!" I heard my 'dad' yell.

"Stay here." Daniel whispered into my ear and started towards my dad.

Suddenly my dad was pushed up against the wall and Daniel had a fist full of his shirt in his hand. Daniel's face got fire truck red and started saying something through gritted teeth.

"If you try to talk to my girl one more time, I will call the police on you." Daniel said.

"Your girl? She's my child." My dad snapped back.

"She's not your child. You haven't been here for her for how many years? You missed so much. I would rather gouge my eyes out than see you back in her life. Leave her the hell alone." Daniel said letting go of his shirt and walking back to me.

"Come on." Daniel said taking my hand and walking away with me. I got into the passenger seat and waited for him to get in too.

"Thank you." I said once he got into the car.

"Don't thank me. That asshole deserved it." He said back.

"I love you." I said pulling the collar of his shirt to me so I could kiss him.

"I love you so much." He said when we broke apart and few seconds later and started to drive away.

We rode to my mom's house, Daniel's hand resting on my thigh and the faint sound of Nirvana playing in the background.

~*~

"Joey! Daniel! What's up guys?" My mom said pulling us inside and closing the door behind us.

"I felt like I needed to tell you this. I don't know how to say this." I said about the cry again but Daniel's reassuring rub on the small of my back helped me compose myself.

"Dad is still alive." Was all that I could say.

"J-Joey what are you talking about?" My mom stuttered.

"When we were downtown we walked into a bakery he was there. I fought with him and Daniel did too. He's not dead, he faked his death so he could start a new family. Or at least that's what he told me." I said.

"Daniel, is this true?" My mom asked on the verge of tears.

"I'm really sorry, but it is." He said pulling my mom in for an embrace.

In that moment I realised that Daniel was the guy for me.

When my mom and I figure out someone that changed our lives didn't really die, he was there. He didn't only help me, but he helped my mother. He wasn't the guy that I met a year ago that was an arrogant jerk, he was someone who cared not only about his family, and girlfriend's family too.

"What's going on?" Joe asked walking into the room with a fading smile.

"My dad that died, is really alive." I said.

"I'm really sorry Joey." He said and hugged me. Joe was the dad I never had.

"I have one of those lives that you read about in the Wattpad books. Where in some weird turn of events, in the end everything will hopefully end up right. Sometimes I feel like I'm a character in a Wattpad book." I said laughing.

"I'm sure that would be a pretty interesting story, wouldn't it?" Daniel said laughing.

"I could only imagine."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

For all of you saying 'isn't he dead?' Does this make some sense now???

I to be honest love this chapter. I'm really proud and I hope you guys like it as much as me.

I like it because of how protective Daniel got over Joey.

Don't forget to comment, vote, and follow

See you next chapter