Chapter 32 (Renesmee)

Jake takes me back to the house where I fall into a deep sleep.

I was running through the woods. I can't remember from what though. I can hear it running behind me, trying to get me. Suddenly, I trip over a branch. The cut starts to bleed. That's when I see them step out in front of me. The Volturi. Oh no. I knew they would come for me! I shouldn't have left Jake! Then Jane speaks. "Renesmee Cullen. You have disgraced vampires by being a measly half-blood. We are giving you a chance to redeem yourself. Join us. If you don't, you and your family will die. We will be generous and let them visit. And you can keep the dog as a pet." She says. Wait? Is this a dream, or is it my abilities? I know it's real when Jane says, "Meet me at the waterfall at midnight. Don't be late." Then I wake up.
I look at the time. 11:30. My family wouldn't let me go, so I need to pack and hurry. I use my speed, and within two minutes, I'm packed. Then I hear a knock on the door. It's Jake. "Nessie, I was in here while you were sleeping. Your hand was on my face. I saw everything. I'm going." Perfect. I sigh. "OK. Let's go." I say. I jump out the window, while Jake climbs down a tree. We barely make it in time. There Jane sits with her twin brother, Alec.
Alec looks at me and I sense that he thinks I'm hot. Oh no. Jake will not take this well. Jane smiles. "Follow me." And we get going.
By the next night, we're in Volterra. I see a beautiful building. It's also very big. Jane shows Jake to his room, while Alec shows me to mine. We get into a conversation on the way. He's really not that bad.
"I never wanted this. I wasn't afraid of death when I was human. Jane was always afraid of everything, and as her brother, I was supposed to protect her." I don't know what to say. "Alec, I'm so sorry that you didn't have a choice." He smiles a sad smile. "Thank you. I don't know why I'm telling you this, it just seems like you're the type of person to tell." I smile. "You can tell me any secret, and I'll keep it. I won't judge."
By this time, we're at my room. "Would you like to come in? I find your story fascinating." He smiles a real smile. "Of course. I will share my story with you." I sit on a over stuffed chair, while Alec sits on a rocking chair.
"It was 1435. Jane and I lived in a small village. Our parents had died from a strange sickness three years before. Jane suddenly became wary and afraid of everything. She hardly left the house. I always protected her. She's my twin sister. I had too. Everyone thought she was the most beautiful girl in the village. Being her brother, they had to ask my permission to court her. I always said know. We were fourteen. I didn't want anybody to have my sister yet. One day, a man came to our home. He was truly beautiful. Even more so than Jane. He asked to court her, and like I had every other time, I said no. He got very angry. He screamed that if he couldn't have my sister, nobody could. I have to admit, I was afraid. Jane was even more afraid though. She never left her bedroom. I put chains on the doors that could only be removed from the inside. I had to go into town one day. I tried not to leave Jane often. I told her to tie the chain when I left, and we came up with a special knock on which she would open the door. I tried to hurry in town. I couldn't shake the feeling something was wrong. As I got closer to our house, I could hear screams. Jane's screams. I ran to the front door, only to see that it was open. The chain was broken. I ran into the kitchen to see the same man, drinking her blood. I grabbed a knife and tried to stab him, but the knife bent. The man stepped away from Jane though. By this time, I heard the townsfolk coming. The man bit me, and threw me beside Jane. I grabbed her hand, and started to scream from the pain. We woke up three days later. We slaughtered the whole village. After that, I was ashamed. It was 100 years before we found Aro. He let us join him in the Volturri, and now we're here. "
"Wow Alec. I had know idea." I really don't know what to say. He smiles. "Yes. But it's all OK now. At least my sister no longer has to be afraid." He smiles. "I think we're going to be friends." We say at the same time. Then laugh. "Yes. I think we will." Alec says. "Definitely." I reply.
Then Jane walks in. "Hello Brother. If you please, I'd like to spend time with the only other teenager." She smiles. So does Alec. "Of course, Sister." He leaves.
Jane takes a seat where Alec just was. She actually, genuinely, smiles. Before I can stop them, words pop out of my mouth. "You look even more beautiful when you smile like that." To my surprise, she doesn't make me hurt, she smiles bigger. "Thank you. I don't really smile often because I need to portray someone powerful." I laugh. "Your secret is safe with me."
We talk for quite a bit, until Jane brings up the subject of Jake. "He loves you, out course." She says. "I love him too." She laughs a bitter laugh. "Do you have a choice?"
I think about it for a moment. Do I have the choice to love Jacob? I grew up knowing I was supposed to. Jake didn't have a choice either. Neither of us had a choice. But I want one.
"No Jane, I never had a choice and neither did he. I think I want one though." She frowns. "I wasn't trying to ruin your relationship. I was just wondering." Then a thought hits me. "Do you have a library?" I ask. "Yes. Of course." Jane replies. Then she knows what I mean. "I've seen a couple of books with imprinting in them. Let's go." Jane and I have actually become friends. She's a lot nicer than everyone says.
After walking for ten minutes, she stops in front of a set of double doors. She points to a table and I sit down. After a couple of minutes, she sets down three books in front of me. Then she starts to read a book of her own. I pick up the first book.